• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chexone View Post
    Spring break?? What's that?
    =) haha

Comment

If you don't mind going out 3-4 miles from the CHSP pier to open water, I may be game. I think tog season is still open until Apr, and maybe togs will bite out there.

Anyone know when the flatties start biting at CHSP and OC?
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Heck I don't care as long as I get fish in the kayak so sure i'm game. Are we going to be fishing a specific structure or are we just going to look for one.

fishing calandar DE.jpg This is from the Old Inlet website.
        Last edited by M_Duong60; 03-10-2013, 05:10 PM.
        Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Places to fish out there are the walls/jetties, rocky bottoms and artificial reefs. Hopefully the water will warm up, otherwise you're going out there for the exercise. We'll see.

BTW, the pier was closed when I was out there several months ago. Pier was damaged and there was lot of debris on the beach from the bad storm.

Comment

Well it might be to cold from what I can see from the 10 day weather report, but tomorrow I am going to call the bait shop to look for a place to fish for stripers so I will fish for them instead of tog if the water is to cold. In addition I am not sure if the tog season closes in April I looked on several websites and it says nothing, but it does close on May 12 – July 16 and Sept. 1 – 28.
            Last edited by M_Duong60; 03-10-2013, 07:42 PM.

Comment

I can't find the DE fishing regs for 2013. Use 2012? I think you're right about the tog regs, if 2012 regs still apply. For stripers, keeper is 28" or greater. Creel is at 2. Again, based on 2012. You may want to try the deep channels at CHSP for stripers.

For VA, I think striper regs are the same as DE. Good until trophy season? Anyway, good luck!

Comment

Ok thanks for the input not sure if I will head out to CHSP now also due to the water temp. I might just stay close and fish the route 50 bridge up in OC although I hope to get out quite a bit once things warm up.

Comment

Flatties start biting......

Tufnik,

I can't speak for OC, but for CHSP and Lewes Canal I can say that last year I made my first trip for these fish on April 16th. I did not catch a large quantity of them, but the ones I did catch were mostly 18" plus. I caught my first keeper of the year in Lewes Canal, mostly because the tides were pretty strong in the bay in comparison. I cannot remember when the pier started yeilding flounder, but I do know that mothers day I caught my biggest of the year right at the end of the pier. There was at least one trip before that date where I did catch a few.

With the water and weather being so cold so far, I don't expect the bite to be as good until May, but who knows maybe it'l heat up quick. We can only hope
                  2012 Hobie mirage outfitter (RED)

Comment

I mean the tides in the canal were easier to paddle. The bay was rough
                    2012 Hobie mirage outfitter (RED)

Comment

I talked to a regular angler at CHSP pier a few months back. He said the previous year had a much better flounder bite. This past season was so-so. Hopefully this year is good. Flounder off the pier hopefully will be good, but pier fisherman may not have the chance to find out if the pier isn't repaired.

I heard people catch stripers in the canal. I don't know, but I assume, that big stripers can be caught in deeper water off the shore. There's deep water, about 90', between the Inner and Outer Walls. That's the channel where the big ferry's cross. I wonder if cows cruise the bottom there.

Comment

Tufnik, Did you make it up to CHSP yet? I was thinking maybe next weekend I will either go there or CBBT. April 11 and 12 Morning. Let me know if you had or do have luck when you get out there. If you go out that weekend maybe we can meet up there.
                        The best time spent is time that doesn't feel like it was spent at all. When it's worth it you'll give everything to do it all over again no matter what the cost.

Comment

I haven't yak fished this year yet. For this time of the year, water temp should be in the 50s. Today, the water temp at Lewes (as well as at CBBT) was about 46 deg. Too cold for good tog activity. When the water warms up, then I'll consider going. Hopefully within a couple of weeks. DE tog season closes mid-May. VA tog season closes 1 May.

Comment

I have heard rumors that tog are active in waters as low as 42 up north but was unable to test it last week due to the high winds.

Although I guess that like you said the 50s are ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by M_Duong60 View Post
                              I have heard rumors that tog are active in waters as low as 42 up north but was unable to test it last week due to the high winds.

Although I guess that like you said the 50s are ideal.
                              They bite but action isn't good. Thats what we mean by active.
                              The best time spent is time that doesn't feel like it was spent at all. When it's worth it you'll give everything to do it all over again no matter what the cost.

Comment

Thats what I thought anyway hope to meet you guys out there when things start to warm up.

Comment

Working...
                                X