Nice variety in Tampa Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice variety in Tampa Bay

I spent the past few days in Tampa kayak fishing with guide Neil Taylor of Strike Three Kayak Fishing. The first two trips featured gorgeous weather conditions. Yesterday was rainy and today was quite windy. Each day we fished at spots near the mouth of Tampa Bay. The water was very clear. I had dolphins and cormorants swimming close by for nearly an hour this morning plus I saw manatees on several days.

The casting was done in shallow grass flats of less than 4 ft depth -- most were less than 2 ft. The jigging was done in 8-10 ft deep troughs or holes near the flats.

Over the four trips, I caught ten species of fish: speckled trout, ladyfish, pompano, pufferfish, striped burrfish (a spiny puffer), sea robin, lizardfish, silver trout, and Gulf flounder. All were caught on lures using light tackle.

IMAG0473.jpg 2003-08-02 02-09-49.jpg 2003-08-01 00-00-21.jpg 2003-08-01 00-09-21.jpg 2003-08-01 03-00-20.jpg

This morning I caught speckled trout using four different methods: casting jigheads with soft plastic tails, jigging with a Silly Willy metal jig and a fly teaser tied on the same loop knot, casting Mirrolure topwater plugs, and trolling soft plastics while moving between fishing spots. The first highlight came when I hooked two speckled trout at the same time on a topwater plug. The second highlight came a few minutes later when I hooked a 20" spec on topwater.

2003-08-01 00-00-37.jpg 2003-08-01 00-09-44.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Way to go on the topwater, John.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
    X