Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roll Call: Anyone going to the Outer Banks in Mid June?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roll Call: Anyone going to the Outer Banks in Mid June?

I'll be traveling down to the Outer Banks (Avon, NC specifically) from June 14-19. I was wondering if any other kayak fisherman from this forum are going to be down there at the same time, and would like to do some fishing (either from the kayaks, shore, or even possibly a charter boat). Let me know either on this thread or PM me and we can exchange contact info. Fishing looks to be pretty good down there at least from shore, seems like there are slot drum, blues, pompano, and the occasional spanish mackerel and even cobia being caught.

So I'm headed down tomorrow, and I've already booked a kayak charter to hunt for reds, specks, flounder, and maybe even some stray striper. I figured it'd be invaluable to learn some spots and skills, as that sort of marsh-hunting type fishing is pretty new to me. Other than that, I hope to do a ton of surf fishing in Avon but also maybe down at the point, and a few other spots. I also hope to take my kayak back into the marshes, and perhaps even offshore one day if the winds stay very low. Target species from the surf or offshore would be spanish mackerel, blues, possibly king mackerel, and there have been a few reports of blackfin tuna and cobia not far offshore. I just want to get out there and do some exploring, as I've never brought my kayak to the area before.

Comment

Until I got to the last sentence, I realized you booked a guided tour but were bringing your own yak. I think that's a great idea, and you'll be able to put lessons learn with the guide into actual practice when you're out on your own.

We are heading down to Savannah GA later this summer, i'm very sad we are flying and I can't bring 'the toys'

Good Luck, and be sure to post multiple reports!
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I'm headed to the OBX in July and own a place in Southern Shores. I've yak fished on my own for several years with mixed success. My understanding is that the more south you go, the better the fishing will be. I'm considering a yak guide this summer or fall to learn some tricks down there. I am looking forward to catching fish on the sound-side.

Comment

Who's the guide? I'll be in Corolla the week of July 2. Last year was my first year down there and I found that the constant wind, daily afternoon severe thunderstorms, traffic and bugs to really suck the joy out of fishing. I managed a couple tiny reds and stripers behind hatteras inlet in the marshes one morning. I also surf launched a couple times looking for cobia/reds but only saw turtles with no cobia friends. I also pitch poled on the landing one day and destroyed by mirage drive. Not used to the sandbar situation down there.
          Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

I'm going out with Mikey Sabadic. He's relatively new to the business but Jhoss recommended him. I also know of Missy Clark (I think that's her last name) who runs Finatic Kayak Charters, I fished with her last year and she's great. There's also a guy named Rob Aldermann I think, he does Outer Banks Kayak Charters I believe, I think he's been doing it the longest. Ryan Rhodes is another one and he works for kitty hawk kites I believe. I may do trips with all of them over the next couple of years, I like to give me business to any and all small companies down there.

I will make a full lengthy report, hopefully full of success and fish pictures, but at the very least it'll be detailed.

If any of you are thinking of a fall trip down there, let me know. I'm starting a new job which will give me a lot more time off and I think a better overall schedule, so I may make multiple trips down to my family's house there in Avon, Oct-Dec. The fall's a great time to fish but it can also be the windiest season, which of course just grounds the kayaks.

Comment

Working...
            X