Outer Banks Report 6/14-6/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outer Banks Report 6/14-6/19

I wish I had a lot of fish pictures and a great report to give, but alas, overall, fishing was slow. I continue to believe that fishing in NC gets worse every year, at least inshore, probably due to the shrimp trawling, but that's a conversation for another time.

Anyway, I fished in a variety of methods and only managed to catch a few fish. Most were spanish mackerel, which was my #1 target fish this year, so that was awesome. I fished off the beach only once, and caught nothing (as did my brother and father), and everyone else we talked to said surf fishing was very slow. It's always the case wherever I go that you "should've been here last month," or "the action will really heat up next month!" Although maybe I just used all my luck catching big pelagics last summer/fall. Anyway...

I went out with a guide named Mikey Sabadic, and while he is a good fisherman and a good guide, he's just getting started in the guiding business, and it shows. He's not quite as instructive as I would like, but I think a lot of that had to do with him running an earlier trip where he was essentially babysitting a big family party, so I think he just wanted to fish a lot when he was out with me. He caught 2 drum, 1 keeper at 20" and 1 overslot at 29", and I caught only 1 white perch in about 4 hours of fishing. I will put some of the blame on the learning curve, but I think the fishing, much like here, is just about a month behind (hopefully). We stuck to some marshy areas for fishing, and it was a very new experience for me, but I would like to try again when the fishing is better. It wasn't worth me taking my kayak all the way back up to that spot, when I had ocean access all around me.

My brother, father, and I went out on my brother's small bowrider, and cruised out of the hatteras inlet around Ocracoke, trying to find spanish mackerel and perhaps anchor up and fish for cobia. Neither of them are patient fisherman, so when they told me they wanted to fish for cobia, I had my doubts, and sure enough they only sat for maybe 15-20 minutes and got bored and wanted to leave. That was fine with me, I wanted to chase mackerel, and we did. We came across several schools and trolled up 2 spanish mackerel and 1 bluefish (1 mackerel came off due to poor rod handling by my father haha). I stood at the bow and sight casted a heavy stingsilver (I think that's the name) to where I thought mackerel would be, or near where I saw activity. That yielded 3 more spanish mackerel but 1 came off as my brother was too slow to throttle the boat down, and the hook was pulled from the fishes mouth (I was casting as we were trolling). So in the end we managed 3 spanish and 1 blue, but I had a great time out there.

I've launched kayaks into the ocean before, but never my own, so I wanted to give it a shot. I found a nice access road close to where I was staying (Avon), and launched my kayak into the ocean 2 days in a row. The first day admittedly was foolish, the winds were a bit too high, I was just stubborn and wanted to get out. It was a very tiring, wet, and dangerous day, but I took all the precautions I could regarding safety equipment, float plans, etc., and I never flipped or had any accidents out there. I did encounter 2 or 3 large schools of spanish mackerel out there which were very beautiful to be around, but I was too busy trying to deal with large waves and wind in my sit-in, so I couldn't really fish for them during the short windows they appeared. The second day I launched into the ocean was much nicer, so of course, I didn't mark any fish for the whole 4 hours I was out there. However, I was determined to at least "go big or go home" so I brought the carcasses from the fish I had cleaned before, and set them out in a mesh bag as chum while I anchored in a shallower shoal a few hundred yards offshore. I was chunking tuna belly and bottom fishing with fishbites and shrimp, hoping to get some croaker or other live bait to use for cobia, in lieu of the tuna belly (which probably still would've worked). However, I instead hooked 2 massive rays that made long powerful runs, so each time I was convinced it was a cobia or big mackerel, but disappointed in the end. The one kept taking drag from my sahara which was cranked all the way up almost, and probably broke off a gear internally, but I knew it needed servicing anyway. I got both rays in and cut the line within 8 inches of the hook. It was nice to have some excitement and to see my rods really bend (even the bigwater ugly stik was bowed nicely). I trolled both days out in the ocean with lures which had produced mackerel, but only got a few quick non committal hits on my paddletail, and no fish to show for it.

Like I said, overall the fishing was slow, but I'm glad I threw everything I had at them to try to increase my chances. I now have some surf launching/ocean fishing experience under my belt, and I think it's as foolish as it is admirable that I took my 12' sit-in kayak out to the ocean and back, twice. Each time there were fisherman around me, be it on the beach, or on the pier where I also briefly fished (skunked), no one was catching anything unfortunately. I figured with the temps being in the 70s in the AM, and the water being about the same, fishing would be prime, but I think that was only true for offshore charters. Next time I bring my kayak down to OBX, I would like to charter 1 or 2 additional kayak guides to gain further insight into fishing a very daunting area. Overall, I don't regret the effort I put in, though it was more of a learning experience than a catching one.

I follow Mikey on social media and am considering using him for a guided kayak trip on the sound in July. He seems enthusiastic in his communications with me. Not sure yet if I should book with him or not.

I have launched my sit in, Old Town Rush, kayak that is around 9.5 feet long in the ocean. It has always been on calm days. Got tipped over one time when riding a wave in and the thing became super heavy when full of water and sand. Sit on tops for me in the ocean from now on.

Fishing down there for me is always very hit or miss. If the bluefish are around and busting on mullet and birds are visible, it's a good time until things break up. I'm a freshwater bass guy, so fishing the salt is a mystery for me. However, I own a place in Southern Shores, so I have a long time to figure some things out. I have done remarkably well fishing some fresh water ponds and catching some nice bass and bluegills.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
      I follow Mikey on social media and am considering using him for a guided kayak trip on the sound in July. He seems enthusiastic in his communications with me. Not sure yet if I should book with him or not.
      Yeah I would say either him, Missy (finatic kayak charters), or Rob (outer banks kayak fishing), or even ryan rhodes with kitty hawk kites (might be pricey), are all good choices. Missy was good, I went with her 2 years ago and although it was the hottest week of the year, we still managed to catch a decent variety (flounder, red drum, speckled trout). Don't neglect trolling a light jig with paddletail trailer, that's how I caught most of my specks when I went out with her.

You're right about the blues, one time we hit the beach at the right time, and we were doubling up on every rig, good times. Good luck down there in July, and if you're ever interested in a group trip down there, let me know.

Comment

Thanks for the great detailed report. We haven't been to OBX in several years and the wifey is trying to entice me to go by telling me to take my Yak and fish.
        Hopefully the bite turns on soon, I always had sporadic luck surf fishing there for 20 years. Is the spec bite in the shallows?? Would you recommend a PA-12 down there on an Outback???

We normally stay in the Kitty hawk / Kill Devils hills locations.

Thanks
        Yak67
        2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
        2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Nice report I was down in nags head in early may surf fishing was pretty good weather sucked most of the week so we only launch kayaks 3 days twice out of oregon inlet with only small stripers hooked and once in the ocean where we caught a couple blues. about the same time we were there Rob (outerbanks kayak fishing) was hauling citation drum down in hatteras we should have made the drive down. You couldnt pay me to launch a sit in into the surf after doing our launch in nags head I got slammed but made it through a breaker but my nephew wasnt heavy enough to push trough got turned and turtled luckily he only lost a shoe
          D Hawk
          Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
          Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Originally posted by Yak67 View Post
            Thanks for the great detailed report. We haven't been to OBX in several years and the wifey is trying to entice me to go by telling me to take my Yak and fish.
            Hopefully the bite turns on soon, I always had sporadic luck surf fishing there for 20 years. Is the spec bite in the shallows?? Would you recommend a PA-12 down there on an Outback???

We normally stay in the Kitty hawk / Kill Devils hills locations.

Thanks
            Yak67
            2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
            2016 Hobie Outback LE#217
            If you're staying soundside and fishing back bays and marshes, either would be fine. But if you're doing any surf launches, I would def say outback. The PA is super wide and heavy and any sort of small wave will easily turn it, and if it does roll, you'd much rather have an outback roll over you than the PA. You also have to take depth into account, I ran aground a few times in a hobie sport that Mikey had me on, but that kayak is so light that it was easy to shimmy off of the sandbar. I think inshore/soundside fishing will only get better over the next month or so, but if you're looking to do a deep sea tuna trip, now would be the time.

Comment

Originally posted by dhawk View Post
              Nice report I was down in nags head in early may surf fishing was pretty good weather sucked most of the week so we only launch kayaks 3 days twice out of oregon inlet with only small stripers hooked and once in the ocean where we caught a couple blues. about the same time we were there Rob (outerbanks kayak fishing) was hauling citation drum down in hatteras we should have made the drive down. You couldnt pay me to launch a sit in into the surf after doing our launch in nags head I got slammed but made it through a breaker but my nephew wasnt heavy enough to push trough got turned and turtled luckily he only lost a shoe
              That's good that there wasn't any injuries and only 1 shoe lost during your surf launches. I found them to be much easier than I had imagined, but patience is key. I think the main thing was the wave period (I think that's what it's called), or the time between waves, it was 8-9 seconds each time I launched. One thing that almost screwed me, was that my paddle got pulled under my kayak on my first launch, luckily I have it tethered so I just had to reach down and pull it out but that could've been disastrous. The next day I made sure to lightly secure it in the front so once I jumped in, it was a quick motion to grab it and start feverishly paddling. Physically speaking, launching and returning was pretty tough, and paddling into the wind was very tough. I consider myself to be in excellent shape, but regardless, it is exhausting. When you add in hauling the kayak to and from the car, it's a really long day.

I think next time I'm down I'm going to fish with Rob. He seems to have the best knowledge base, but I've heard from several people that he's a bit blunt...a basshole without the b. But I would like to see for myself, and I know he's a good fisherman. I also think he is the most willing/capable to go after big ocean fish (mackerel, jacks, big drum, cobia, etc), and that's more of my scene if I'm fishing in NC or any of the coastal states.

I think the advantage with Mikey is he seems to be the only charter that uses hobies, though he did put me on a sport, which was way to small for me and I'm only 5 10'. I think kitty hawk/ryan rhodes may use hobies but I think it's pricier.

Comment

I forgot to address the question about specks, I believe the season just opened for them again and a few were being caught in the sound.

Also I forgot to mention I caught my first tagged fish! But it unfortunately didn't make it to the boat. It was a very powerful 3-4 ft shark that hit a chunk of tuna belly, and it fought for a while, making many long runs. I could see it had a very old red tag on it's dorsal fin, that was covered over by years of algal growth. It ended up making one last run and biting through the leader before we could get it to the boat/net, so I am unsure of what species it might be. I was thinking sandbar or dusky.

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                  That's good that there wasn't any injuries and only 1 shoe lost during your surf launches. I found them to be much easier than I had imagined, but patience is key. I think the main thing was the wave period (I think that's what it's called), or the time between waves, it was 8-9 seconds each time I launched. One thing that almost screwed me, was that my paddle got pulled under my kayak on my first launch, luckily I have it tethered so I just had to reach down and pull it out but that could've been disastrous. The next day I made sure to lightly secure it in the front so once I jumped in, it was a quick motion to grab it and start feverishly paddling. Physically speaking, launching and returning was pretty tough, and paddling into the wind was very tough. I consider myself to be in excellent shape, but regardless, it is exhausting. When you add in hauling the kayak to and from the car, it's a really long day.

I think next time I'm down I'm going to fish with Rob. He seems to have the best knowledge base, but I've heard from several people that he's a bit blunt...a basshole without the b. But I would like to see for myself, and I know he's a good fisherman. I also think he is the most willing/capable to go after big ocean fish (mackerel, jacks, big drum, cobia, etc), and that's more of my scene if I'm fishing in NC or any of the coastal states.

I think the advantage with Mikey is he seems to be the only charter that uses hobies, though he did put me on a sport, which was way to small for me and I'm only 5 10'. I think kitty hawk/ryan rhodes may use hobies but I think it's pricier.
                  we were definitely not patient and timed it wrong but it was still fun we also launched in sketchy conditions so we new there was a chance for disaster but we were prepared for that. Our trip in was flawless timed it right and rode some nice waves in. I have never met rob but driven guys can come off as blunt sometimes i can deal with that if you know your stuff and put me on fish but i know that turns some people off.
                  D Hawk
                  Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
                  Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Shouldn't borrowing a Hobie Sport for 4 hours be free? haha. That was a joke ladies and gentlemen. Thank you, thank you very much!

Comment

I feel like this would be me on a Hobie Sport...

(this pic is from the internet via google)

Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Ha yeah the sport was very cramped. I was under the impression that I would be in an outback but that wasn't the case. I think he's getting a PA so he will probably be in that, and his clients will be in the outback and the sport if there is more than 1

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X