Jersey Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jersey Run

Headed up to jersey last weekend to see my Dad,,,,and fish. I have been hearing good reports from boats, but nothing from the beaches, a kayak is in between, so I thought I'd give it a try. Early Saturday night I started off by working the sod banks from shore in Cape May. The area looked really fishy and there was good current, but this is still a little early for the Tip. I casted for a couple hours with no luck, but it was good to scout a couple a places I will hit later in the month. I hopped in the car and drove to LBI to hit the beach for the late night to early morning. There was a good amount of surf casters, but not enough to be annoying, just enough to know I might be in a decent spot. Despite a good storm a few days ago, the water was clean. I casted from about 3:00 to 8:00 with only one hit on a bone SP. I tried everything, even switched to a nice afterhours rascal pencil without a sniff. I talked to a sharpie, and he said nothing yet, but soon. It was a beautiful sunrise, and it was great just to be on the beach casting.
    As i was driving back to Cape May, i decided to dunk the yak behind LBI. The water was dirty but it was calm, and the sun was up. I worked the sod banks for a few hours with no luck, except for a goofy 18" fluke. I was trolling a z-man and assassin out back, and throwing a spook, smack-it, shad and assassins up front. I started to head in when I heard a nice smack behind me. Not being one to be asked twice, I quickly turned the yak, and saw a small school of bait fish being pinned against the bank. For about 15-20 minutes, I picked off five 20"-25" bass. It was a blast, because unlike most mini-blitzes, the cast had to be perfect, parallel to the bank about one foot off. Too close and you were snagged in the mud, too far and they ignored it. I was using my light rig, 2500 on 6-12 custom rainshadow, which made it a good ending to a long night of fishing.
    Last edited by summersoff; 11-06-2018, 11:08 AM.
    Jay

10' Green Slayer
    13’ Red Slayer

It is hard to beat finding yourself in the right place at the right time. Busting bait next to structure serves to elevate your pulse pretty quickly.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
    X