Tampa Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tampa Again

John Veil, Terry Hill (Raptor – formerly of Annapolis, now of North Carolina) and I returned today from four days of fishing in Tampa with kayak guide Neil Taylor.

I’d like to tell you the fishing was fantastic and that our arms ached from excessive pullage. The reality was short of that. We worked hard for every speckled trout we caught. They were not aggressive nor were they plentiful. We never got into a school that provided continuous catching as we’ve done on prior trips. It took a slow presentation with a jig and soft plastic trailer and much patience to hook them. I found it helpful to tip my rod tip when I felt them tap to give them slack, wait a split second and then set the hook. When that worked, most that we caught were this size:

P1040430.jpg

We also caught some larger ones that we enjoyed for dinner one night.

Many of our soft plastic baits were victimized by toothy pufferfish and pinfish that left our lures in shreds. This was a common occurence:

P1040409.jpg

However, John did manage to bring this culprit to the boat:

P1040415.jpg

The only aggressive fish we encountered were ladyfish on day two. We got into a school of them splashing the surface in a feeding frenzy. It was like casting into a school of breaking stripers. But it was short-lived fun. The action was over in 15 minutes. Most were this size:

P1040427.jpg

They pulled hard and often went airborne for us. The only thing that stopped us from catching more in that short window was that each one took a while to reel it in. They’d completely circle us and then do an aerial act too. They’re incredibly fast and strong.

Birdlife in Tampa is varied. It’s nice to hear the ospreys which are year-round residents there. I miss their calls when they leave the Chesapeake. Brown and white pelicans are plentiful also:

P1040470.jpg

But this cormorant really got up close and personal with us. This is not a cropped photo:

P1040450.jpg

It was that close to my kayak. Here’s the same cormorant stealthily approaching Terry and John from behind:

P1040442.jpg

Shortly after I took this shot, John caught a speck. The cormorant made a dash for it as John was reeling it in. It actually grabbed the fish once but John managed to pull it free. John unhooked the fish and tossed it in the water. Darned if that cormorant didn’t track it down with amazing speed, pop up to the surface with the fish in its beak, flip it and eat it headfirst in a single gulp.

Later I hooked a speck. The cormorant was closing in on my kayak to my left. I tossed the fish to the right. The bird scooted right under my boat and come up with the fish in its beak. But this time the fish wriggled free. I bet it’s presently sporting two beak scars on its sides.

It’s clear that cormorant has followed other anglers looking for an easy meal. It’s an experienced thief.

The other story of our trip was the wind. Every day we paddled into a stiff breeze. This windsurfer was taking advantage of the wind on day two:

P1040399.jpg

He and others were very close to the area we fished but they never interfered with us. They were fun to watch.

Yesterday’s wind was beyond a stiff breeze. It was more like a gale. Also, I’m convinced it shifted direction causing us to paddle into it as we left the launch and when we returned. At least it seemed that way to me or perhaps I was just tired of fighting it for the three prior days.

Here’s Terry paddling back to the launch in an area that was actually somewhat protected from the wind but still you can see the chop on the water.

P1040477.jpg

Also, you can see the spires of the Skyway Bridge in the distance. We fished in areas within sight of the bridge both to the north and south of it during this trip.

So, the fishing was disappointing. I personally reached double digit catch numbers on only two of the four days. I finished with 23 trout, 4 ladyfish and a lizardfish. That’s often an average day’s catch in Tampa for a kayak outing. But neither of us got skunked on any day and most of all we had a good time in each other’s company. I’ve long ago ceased fishing to merely catch fish. Good friends and scenes like this are why:

P1040460.jpg
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Thanks for the report Mark, well reported as usual. Sorry the bite wasn’t better, sounds like my last trip there.At least your temps were warmer than here, welcome back to the Artic!
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

John,

Yes. It was in the 70s each day until the last when the high was in the 50s. So I don't believe temperatures put the fish down. I think they simply happened to be where we weren't. But that's often the story of fishing, isn't it?
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Comment

If our only rating criteria for the trip had been catching lots of big fish, the trip would have been unsuccessful. However, being able to get away from Maryland's cold weather, hanging out with friends, sharing stories and jokes, and eating some good food, made the trip a success for me.

Like Mark, my catch counts were well below what I had hoped for. Over the four days, I caught 17 specks, 10 ladyfish, 2 pufferfish, and 1 flounder. But I got to try out my new Manta Ray 12 XT kayak and fish in several locations that I had not previously visited. These locations had good habitat. Under different tides and weather patterns, they would undoubtedly hold fish.

2003-08-01 00-00-07.jpg 2003-08-01 19-42-23.jpg

Here is a photo of Mark manhandling an old Native Ultimate made of fiberglass rather than polypropylene. The boat weighs somewhere around 40 lbs and is easy to pick up and carry.

2003-08-01 19-01-33.jpg
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I thought my own Ultimate 12 was light until I picked up the fiberglass version.

However, note the lines on the kayak in the photo. They're blowing behind me in the wind as I carried the boat toward the water.

I think it's a rule of nature that the wind shall always be in the faces of paddlers!
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Yep!
            John Rentch
            Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
            Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Nice report guys. I like reading about your frequent trips to Florida. The area around Tampa is beautiful.

Comment

Working...
              X