Hilton Head Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hilton Head Island

Got down to HH last week. Great weather. I used Outside Hilton Head as a guide / trip service. Wesley the guide was great, took us to an area that didn’t produce then to an area that we all caught nice Redfish. The SC region is very tidal and shallow, using a guide is a must for learning the area. Outside uses Hobie Compass as the Yaks for fishing. I rented one for the second day of fishing by myself. IMG_1345.jpgIMG_1347.jpg
    My first time in a Compass. Nice and wide, very stable. The seat was ok when adjusted properly. It’s not a good a seat as the Outback or PA. Turbo Fins upgrade is a definite need. But fishing an uncluttered Bare-bones Yak was just fine ( smile Big Mike). I definitely want to chase reds now!
    Croakers on steroids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fantastic Gary!

Nice catches and nice change of pace from the cold weather here.

Congratulations.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks Mark. It was nice to be warm for a while. Shorts and short sleeves temps there. I hope to chase the reds more in 2019.

Yak67
      2019 Hobie Outback-Papaya
      2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo

Comment

Well done Gary. I doubt a fish finder would help in 3’ of water.
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

For what it's worth, I have fished with 3 different kayak guides in FL and TX. Not one has used a fish finder. The "uncluttered bare-bones approach" to quote Gary can indeed work. It's an approach I enjoy.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            For what it's worth, I have fished with 3 different kayak guides in FL and TX. Not one has used a fish finder. The "uncluttered bare-bones approach" to quote Gary can indeed work. It's an approach I enjoy.
            Plus it is one less thing for a client to mess up.

Nice going Gary. It is unfortunate that we have only limited opportunities to find redfish in Maryland. They are fun to catch. Yesterday morning I caught snook and speckled trout in northern Tampa Bay. Today I am headed to fish near the mouth of Tampa Bay.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

QUOTE=Big Mike;159975]Well done Gary. I doubt a fish finder would help in 3’ of water.[/QUOTE]

3 FOW is why I have side scan sonar on my kayak...and I find it extremely helpful...but I would not want to allow someone to use my expensive electronic equipment on a “rental” basis...totally understandable why Boats you rent do not have any thing other than an outboard motor (if you pay the extra for an outboard) otherwise you row...same with fishing guides...who could afford to outfit kayaks the way we do our personal kayaks to people we do not have any idea of their level of experience nor use of fishing electronics...a 600 or 700 dollar electronics? Maybe a simple depth sounder, but then why? Most guides put you in well known locations where the fish normally hold based upon years of experience and past successes...
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                QUOTE=Big Mike;159975]Well done Gary. I doubt a fish finder would help in 3’ of water.
                3 FOW is why I have side scan sonar on my kayak...and I find it extremely helpful...but I would not want to allow someone to use my expensive electronic equipment on a “rental” basis...totally understandable why Boats you rent do not have any thing other than an outboard motor (if you pay the extra for an outboard) otherwise you row...same with fishing guides...who could afford to outfit kayaks the way we do our personal kayaks to people we do not have any idea of their level of experience nor use of fishing electronics...a 600 or 700 dollar electronics? Maybe a simple depth sounder, but then why? Most guides put you in well known locations where the fish normally hold based upon years of experience and past successes...[/QUOTE]

Yes, I understand the practicality and expense of not adding electronics to each boat in a rental fleet. But I've been surprised that the guides themselves do not rely on electronics for GPS data at minimum.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

Don’t know the answer, Mark...a WAG is all I could offer...maybe the client just wants to catch any fish...ladyfish, Jacks, White trout, gafftops...or the guide was there yesterday...when I was fishing Merritt Island, my guide got a cell phone call from another guide and we picked up and headed his way...got into a big school of redfish feeding on finger mullet...
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I've had mixed success with fishing guides recently

I fished with 2 very different guides in FL, one that was more lazy, only concerned about catching fish, any fish really. We caught a bunch of small mangrove snappers, albeit it was out of a nice flats style skiff. The rest of the crew and I would often point out spots that looked like they'd hold fish, but the captain wouldn't try to fish those areas as they were too deep for his power-pole (he had a regular anchor too). I wouldn't book with him again.

Then I fished with Deep Blue later in the week, and I can't recommend them enough. They're obviously kayak fishing fanatics and are really good at putting clients on big fish, they provide incredible movies and photos too. I can't remember if the first guide I fished with had a FF but I know the guides at deep blue had them. They were more of a necessity though with fishing in the ocean, finding contour lines really determined where they were setting the baits, and what paths they would troll along.

I would love to head down to SC and southern NC to fish along those marshes and a few of the coastal bays and inlets, lots of potential there to hold false albacore, cobia, reds, specks, etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X