Lake Norman, NC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Norman, NC

Hey all, I know this may be a bit of a stretch geography-wise, but I figured I'd reach out just in case there's some relevent knowledge floating around the forum.

I'm heading to Lake Norman in NC, just northwest of Charlotte, for a few days beginning March 16th looking to do some bass fishing. I only really picked it because it's further south and should be warmer, despite the potential for rain, and I know that some college tournaments as well as BASS visit the lake due to its size and productivity. I've been bass fishing my entire life, but have never fished so far south, and obviously haven't fished this lake before. I've been keeping an eye on water temp, which has hovered between 52 and 55 degrees. I'm thinking this will mean they are staging to spawn, and with the rain they've dealt with in NC I'm also thinking there may be some stained water to contend with.

My thoughts so far on tactics are to pitch jigs and soft plastics around docks and laydowns, especially if there's a water clarity issue. Largemouth tend to tighten to structure in muddier than usual water, so I want to give that a shot. Additionally, I'd like to check out the jerkbait bite on points and around structure, as well as toss a chatterbait along points and transition areas. I'm thinking of seeking out some of the shallower creeks to find warmer or clearer water. Apparently, Lake Norman typically runs pretty clear, so I'm hoping that's the case, at which point I'd seek out warmer, southern exposure creeks and banks to find warmer water with the hope of picking up some pre-spawners.

If anyone has ever fished Norman, fished NC, or generally has some early season bass fishing tactics I'd love to hear them. I'm going to have 3 full days of fishing there, so I'll be modifying my approach each day depending on results. Thanks in advance for any help!

Matt
    Matt
    Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
    2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
    10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

My dad lives on Lake Norman and I fish it a few times a year with him. It’s an interesting lake and we have had success trolling small crankbaits around structure (edges of flats, rock piles, docks, etc) and caught a ton of spotted bass. We’ve also caught crappie and catfish doing the same. We haven’t caught very many (I think I caught 1) large mouth bass or hybrids but the ones we did either came on fresh shad I caught in a cast net or slow trolled/slip bobber on structure minnows.

I think I was down there last March and we fished a creek close to a public launch that was packed with shad and bass chasing them. We caught a ton of bass and a few stripers and had fish pushing bait for a few hours. Hopefully you find a few pods of breakers!

Our favorite tactic has turned into vertical jigging spoons with two small jigs (sabiki or crappie grubs) above a small spoon. This catches white perch, spotted bass, sometimes largemouth, and stripers. It can be a lot of fun on light tackle. The odd thing about Lake Norman is the Duke power company bulldozed most if not all of the natural structure before they flooded the lake so largemouth habit is few and far between. Some of the creeks and closer to where the river comes in there is more structure of fallen timber and other buildups. We fished with one of the local guides named Gus and he told us that there have been attempts to put structure in the lake by dropping boulders and other debris over the years but they have become silted over. Anyway, it’s a great spotted bass fishery and they are fiesty. If you get desperate, get some minnows!
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
      My dad lives on Lake Norman and I fish it a few times a year with him. It’s an interesting lake and we have had success trolling small crankbaits around structure (edges of flats, rock piles, docks, etc) and caught a ton of spotted bass. We’ve also caught crappie and catfish doing the same. We haven’t caught very many (I think I caught 1) large mouth bass or hybrids but the ones we did either came on fresh shad I caught in a cast net or slow trolled/slip bobber on structure minnows.

I think I was down there last March and we fished a creek close to a public launch that was packed with shad and bass chasing them. We caught a ton of bass and a few stripers and had fish pushing bait for a few hours. Hopefully you find a few pods of breakers!

Our favorite tactic has turned into vertical jigging spoons with two small jigs (sabiki or crappie grubs) above a small spoon. This catches white perch, spotted bass, sometimes largemouth, and stripers. It can be a lot of fun on light tackle. The odd thing about Lake Norman is the Duke power company bulldozed most if not all of the natural structure before they flooded the lake so largemouth habit is few and far between. Some of the creeks and closer to where the river comes in there is more structure of fallen timber and other buildups. We fished with one of the local guides named Gus and he told us that there have been attempts to put structure in the lake by dropping boulders and other debris over the years but they have become silted over. Anyway, it’s a great spotted bass fishery and they are fiesty. If you get desperate, get some minnows!
      Thank you a ton for sharing that info! The tip about the minnows and the jigging spoon potential definitely gives me hope if times get desperate. At best I figure I'll catch my first spotted bass or landlocked striper, at worst I'll resort to a morale boosting perch search in order to justify the 8 hour drive haha I really appreciate that information. I'll be posting some sort of update (hopefully with pictures) when I get back. Thanks again!
      Matt

Comment

Lake Norman is awesome, I fished it with my girlfriends best friends husband and father, from a 18' boat w/ 90hp evinrude. While we didn't have much success when I was down there, the techniques I showed them (neither are regular fishermen) the weekend after we blew back to MD, they caught over a dozen fish. While we were there, we sight casted at two huge pike in a relatively shallow cove, to no avail. There are big fish lurking in that lake.

Best of luck, report back with your findings/fish-report!!!
        Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
          Lake Norman is awesome, I fished it with my girlfriends best friends husband and father, from a 18' boat w/ 90hp evinrude. While we didn't have much success when I was down there, the techniques I showed them (neither are regular fishermen) the weekend after we blew back to MD, they caught over a dozen fish. While we were there, we sight casted at two huge pike in a relatively shallow cove, to no avail. There are big fish lurking in that lake.

Best of luck, report back with your findings/fish-report!!!
          Great to know! Thanks for sharing. I'm getting stoked for the trip! With the warm weather this week I'm hoping they move into pre-spawn or spawn areas down there up closer to shore. Gonna begin with a wacky Senko, chatterbait, jerkabit, and jig tied onto my 4 rods and then go from there. I'll definitely report back!
          Matt

Comment

Working...
          X