OBX Trip Aug 3-11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBX Trip Aug 3-11

So I'll be staying in Avon from 8/3-8/11/19, and I'm bringing both my kayaks down (in case the gf wants to get out for a day too), and plan on putting in some serious time fishing. I see that Ocean's East in Nag's Head on my way down has some fiddlers, possibly, so I plan on hunting for sheepshead on both the sound and oceanside. I've done some research and mapped out a few close wrecks and reefs within 1-2 miles, again both sound and oceanside, and the ramps to access them (could always use more tips though, especially on soundside access). I plan to troll some squid rigs, plugs, spoons, and soft plastics, for spanish mackerel, blues, etc., and I'm bringing lots of smaller hooks and rigs to catch baitfish, and king mackerel rigs to slow troll them around the contour lines offshore. As for the soundside, I'll have my popping corks and small jigheads, plenty of gulp, and small paddletails for flounder, reds, and specks. I've got rigs and jigs for sheep, and I would say they're my #1 fish to target during this week, though it might be a tie with spanish. The ultimate fish to catch would be a false albacore or cobia, but I know those are chance encounters.

Does this sound like a decent plan of attack? I've launched kayaks several times in the ocean before, in this area and in FL, and I have all the necessary safety gear IMO (vhf, multiple cell phones, etc), so beyond that sort of advice, can anyone give me any pointers about areas to target, recent fishing reports, etc? I usually hit up Frank and Fran's as it's very close to my family's house, but also am familiar with the red drum shop, but if anyone can recommend other local shops to hit up for advice, that would be much appreciated. I've been traveling to the area for my entire life, as my family has owned a house in Avon since the late 70s, 10 years before I was born, but I've yet to really put in a lot of effort researching all the areas to fish. Now that I've had some years of kayak fishing experience under my belt, it's opened up entirely new avenues and access points to feed my obsession.

Also if anyone's in the area during those dates, you would certainly be welcome to join me for some fishing.

Looking forward to your report. I'll be in Southern Shores September 22-October 7.

Comment

Sand fleas work great as does regular blue crabs...and sand fleas are easy to catch in the surf...unlimited supply...and the mud flats back on the sound side of the Island are loaded with fiddler crabs...don’t ignore slow trolling live bait for kings and Cobia...spot, hogfish, bar jacks, tinker blues all are good bait for King Mackerel and easy to catch using double bottom rig with bloodworms or fish bites...
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I’ll be in Avon from this Thursday (July 1 thru Tues July 6) for a short stay, so I’ll be overlapping you. Staying on Wahoo Circle, across from DQ. I’ll have my SINK with limited fishing apparatus (as opposed to the Hobie) but I will def take a trip up to Oregon Inlet where it’s been feast or famine for me in the last few years. No ocean stuff for me. Also, there is a launch hidden behind the apartments on Bonita Pl which gives access to Big Island where puppy drum frequently congregate. The advice at FRank n Frans has been minimal regarding kayaks the last few years but I notice they sponsored a kayak tourney earlier this year. The folks at Whalebone Tackle have been very helpful with advice for launches and action around and near Mantea. Festival Park in Mantea is a great place to launch. I will PM you with my cell number so we can discuss, if you like. Al

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
          Sand fleas work great as does regular blue crabs...and sand fleas are easy to catch in the surf...unlimited supply...and the mud flats back on the sound side of the Island are loaded with fiddler crabs...don’t ignore slow trolling live bait for kings and Cobia...spot, hogfish, bar jacks, tinker blues all are good bait for King Mackerel and easy to catch using double bottom rig with bloodworms or fish bites...
          Yeah a few tackle shops may have fiddlers, so if they're cheap, it'd be worth picking up a couple before fishing, would save some effort. Yep I plan on doing a lot of trolling, both with lures and live bait. Would love to spend a couple days just right off the beach in front of where we stay, and back in the sound too. I've been doing a fair amount of research so I'm going to try to be prepared for anything, and a lot of advice from local shops like oceans east, red drum, hatteras jack, and frank and frans will help.

Comment

Originally posted by Magothyman View Post
            I’ll be in Avon from this Thursday (July 1 thru Tues July 6) for a short stay, so I’ll be overlapping you. Staying on Wahoo Circle, across from DQ. I’ll have my SINK with limited fishing apparatus (as opposed to the Hobie) but I will def take a trip up to Oregon Inlet where it’s been feast or famine for me in the last few years. No ocean stuff for me. Also, there is a launch hidden behind the apartments on Bonita Pl which gives access to Big Island where puppy drum frequently congregate. The advice at FRank n Frans has been minimal regarding kayaks the last few years but I notice they sponsored a kayak tourney earlier this year. The folks at Whalebone Tackle have been very helpful with advice for launches and action around and near Mantea. Festival Park in Mantea is a great place to launch. I will PM you with my cell number so we can discuss, if you like. Al
            We're off Sailfish, only feet from you haha. Yeah feel free to message me with that info, having a fishing buddy would be great! I think most of the luck is being had soundside, and up by OI anyway, so that might be best to focus on those locations. F&F is always great to stop in, and yeah you're right, they usually don't have too much kayak info but they're getting better. I'm going to hit up a variety of shops to get as much info as I can, and spend a little money in each, I like to support the local spots down there anyway. I'm hopefully getting some more info tonight from a new contact I've made, and I'll pass on all the advice I have to you as well. I took my sit-in into the ocean 2 days in a row last year, it was brutal, and probably not the best decision, but I didn't lose any equipment or flip or anything, so it's a win in my book.

Comment

Fished around “Big Island” in the Sound behind DQ for 2 hours yesterday. Was casting an artificial bait that F and F recommended. Caught two nice speks along with a couple other hard hits. Raining today (Saturday) so may try Oregon Inlet tomorrow. Sorry for the poor pic- started raining while fishing.
              CAEA3854-C3E1-4FCC-A4B1-9BC11BAF2B11.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Magothyman View Post
                Fished around “Big Island” in the Sound behind DQ for 2 hours yesterday. Was casting an artificial bait that F and F recommended. Caught two nice speks along with a couple other hard hits. Raining today (Saturday) so may try Oregon Inlet tomorrow. Sorry for the poor pic- started raining while fishing.
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]25379[/ATTACH]
                Success! I think I have an inclining what that bait might be.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Met up with Yakscientist at 0830 at Oregon In,etc this morning. I caught a nice 18” speck. He did better, hopefully he’ll post later. Beautiful day on the water! (Highlight was clam dogs and she-crab soup with my S/O at Sam and Omies Restaurant in South Nags Head).
                  6BFEAB51-6556-4E44-88EA-4A90C5AE3BE9.jpg

Comment

Don't sleep on going south down to Hatteras Village. Some awesome fishing on the flats south of the ferry docks and the dredge islands just offshore. Watch your currents but mostly safe as long as you stay out of the channel. Also, if you are still looking for fiddlers a good way to get them is a headlamp and dip net at night. Just walk on the beach after sunset and go down to the tide line. You'll get plenty in a hurry. I am heading to Avon in 2 weeks. Can't wait. Specks seem everywhere down that way this year vs. prior years. Flounder fishing is supposed to shut down the day I get down though. Grr...

Comment

Working...
                    X