Magothy man in OBX Oct 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magothy man in OBX Oct 1

Down here for the week in Avon with my SINK to fish the Sound side, Oregon Inlet and Manteo. Hurricane damage report first: lots of debris stacked in piles along the road for FEMA and NC DOT pickup and the workers are doing a good job. Not much structural damage to houses that we’ve seen, but Okracoke is off-limits due to the severe flooding they had.
    Went out this morning on the Sound behind DQ (Big Island) and threw/trolled recommended small plastics on jig heads. Wind and tide made it very taxing physically but I caught many types of fish (puppy drum, specks, bluefish and trash fish). The speck ended up being lunch. Headed up to Oregon In,et tomorrow morning if wind dies down.
    0D13BE04-8BE7-489F-BC04-5A3F437060E3.jpg
    E9E37402-FA6F-4B8C-A165-2AF8E56E7C26.jpgDB6B1EDF-2903-4411-813E-C0A1CE03D321.jpg

Forget the plastic and find some grass beds away from the boat traffic (north of Avon or behind Buxton or Hatteras) and throw a suspending mirror lure. Work is slow in a twitch retrieve and you'll slay. I was down before the hurricane and only fished my Yak once and had my worst day in it. Every other day I waded and limited on trout every day I did many times over with reds, flounder, and blues mixed in. You'll need a relatively surface grass free area though. A blade or two wont bother the fish but if you are bringing it back with a salad every time forget it and move to an area with less grass. I wore out more than one hot pink/chrome lure. 2nd best lure was a weedless jig head with a z-man trout magic tail but it was a far far back 2nd in productivity.

Comment

Will do—thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X