South Florida produces big fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Florida produces big fish

Last Sunday I flew south for six straight days of kayak fishing. I started in the lower Keys, fishing with guide Randy Morrow of Lower Keys Kayak Fishing. On the three days I fished with him, we launched out of three different keys and had good success each day. Monday turned out to be barracuda day. I caught 15 barracuda (mostly on a weedless spoon), some jacks, and some snappers.

cuda 1.jpg 2003-08-01 00-00-02.jpg

Tuesday was shark day. I caught 5 lemon sharks and a blacktip shark.

lemon shark 1.jpg blacktip 3.jpg 2003-08-01 03-59-28.jpg

Wednesday we went looking for tarpon. We found dozens of them feeding in shallow water. I hooked 10 and landed 3, but they were all small.

tarpon 3.jpg

On Wed afternoon, I relocated to Miami. I fished Thurs and Fri with guide Alex Tejeda of Bone Collector Kayak Fishing. We fished near Key Biscayne both days. I hooked three large tarpon, two big snook, a Spanish mackerel, several jacks, and a variety of snappers and grunts. The highlight of the two days was the 100-lb tarpon I hooked and fought for 20 mins before getting it to the side of the kayak. It was too large to safely lift into the kayak, so I snapped a few photos while Alex held it and then released it. That fish was by far the largest fish I have caught from a kayak.

tarpon 3a.jpg 2003-08-01 03-00-58.jpg 2003-08-01 03-01-02.jpg

On my final day, I had planned to do offshore kayak fishing near Pompano Beach with Deep Blue Kayak Fishing. The winds today cancelled that trip. But Deep Blue offered me an inshore trip for tarpon and snook in more sheltered waters. I will leave my hotel in a few minutes to start that adventure.

I am very fortunate to have the time, financial resources, sufficient health and energy, and an understanding wife that allow me to go off periodically on these great trips. This week has been very productive in terms of large fish, prime gamefish, variety of species (15 species so far).
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Awesome trip. The picture with Miami in the background is special.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
      It was too large to safely lift into the kayak, so I snapped a few photos while Alex held it and then released it.
      If I remember correctly, you aren't allowed to remove a tarpon from the water is its over a certain size. Cant remember the size right now.
      "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
      Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Nice going John! Those sharks and barracuda would scare the heck out of me. Very cool catching some tarpon and a big one too!

Comment

Now that is a fish! Congrats!
          Brian

Comment

Wow!

Comment

Nice trip

Comment

You are certainly working on the deep bucket list, congradulations!
                John Rentch
                Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Working...
                X