Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBX Veteran's Day Weekend

All,

I am headed back to the OBX for a long Veteran's Day weekend. The speckled trout and striper fishing has been going strong. I'm wondering how long the trout stay in the area. I imagine they depart when the water temperatures get cold. I believe the water temperature is still in the 60's down there.

I caught several trout on the sound side along the edges of grass lines 2 weeks ago. I plan to hit it again this coming weekend and will post my results.

I will continue to troll/cast suspending hard jerk baits as well as throw gigs with paddle tail soft swim baits.

Tom (13),

I do not specifically know the answer to your question because I have never fished at OBX. But I do know from experience that specks are active on both sides of mid-coastal FL during Jan and Feb when I surmise the water temperatures there approximate what is happening at OBX now.

It does help to slow your retrieve for them in the colder months and sometimes you have to finesse hookups. In cooler months, they may bite the lure more tentatively than they would do in warmer weather. Sometimes you'll feel them nip, nip and drop the lure. They may come back to it if you move it subtly -- like working a soft plastic for a LM bass.

Your approach to seek them near visible vegetation is sound. You'll see the dark patches of plant growth clearly even from your low position in a kayak. Your lure choices are appropriate. Clouser Minnows and similar streamer flies work for them also.

Looking forward to your report.

Good luck,
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks Mark. It looks like people are still catching trout this week down there. Hopefully the colder weather doesn't make them move out. I'll post back how it goes.

Comment

Comment

Nothing great to post. Fished in the OBX, Currituck Sound on Veterans Day. Weather down in the OBX was nice with a temperature of about 63 degrees. Some wind.

I paddled from about 2:30PM until 5:15PM. I trolled about 4 miles with no fish striking my jig/paddle tail plastics, or suspending jerk baits.

Fished some bridge structure for about an hour. Had two fish on for a few seconds by vertical jigging with the jig/paddle tail plastic. Each time I got a lousy hook set. Didn't realize the fish had the lure and then didn't really set the hook. Didn't see the fish, but assume they were stripers.

Beautiful sunset. Long paddle into the wind both ways. haha. Done for the season down there until May 2020.

Comment

Well, you still had a beautiful day to fish even if the fish were not cooperative.

You had some success with specks on a previous visit. What you learned then will extend to next May when you return.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Yes, you are right about that Mark. It really was a nice day and beautiful sunset.
              Need to figure out a better launching point with my kayak so I don't have to spend 2+ hours paddling to the bridge structure. haha.
              Also need to work on my vertical jigging technique. Should have caught 2 fish on that trip, but blew it.
              Anyways, add it to the fishing knowledge database and hopefully continual improvement.

Comment

Working...
              X