Everglades and Keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everglades and Keys

I travel frequently to Florida to fish. Last year I met two excellent kayak guides in south Florida who put me on some remarkable fish. I spent the past three days fishing with them again.

On Wed, I fished with Alex Tejeda of Bone Collector Kayak Fishing. We launched in the upper Keys and soon caught barracuda to 30" on topwater. Later we anchored up in a boat channel where I caught a 36" blacktip shark. At the end of the trip we fished under one of the many bridges that carry Rt 1 over the water. We each caught a dozen mangrove snappers and I hooked a 30-lb tarpon. It made several spectacular leaps before breaking the line off on a bridge piling.

On Thurs, Alex and I fished the backcountry of the Everglades, launching near Flamingo. We had to make our way through two long, tangled mangrove tunnels to get to a remote spot with shallow rust-colored water where we saw no other fishermen all day. I caught 22 snook, including fish of 21", 26", and 27". I had another snook of over 30" on the line. It broke off a 30-lb leader.

image1.jpg 2003-08-01 01-41-05.jpg

I also caught a 16" redfish and hooked a 20-lb tarpon. The water was so shallow there that the tarpon could not get enough momentum to make its big leap. I managed to get a small tarpon later.

image2.jpg 2003-08-01 00-29-25.jpg 2003-08-01 01-07-26.jpg

On Friday, I fished with Randy Morrow of Lower Keys Kayak Fishing near Key West. We battled high winds all day, but managed to catch mutton snapper, barracuda, mangrove snapper, two remarkably strong bonefish, and an 36" lemon shark. A 20" bonefish pulls harder than a 30" striper -- the lightning fast runs are breathtaking.

2003-08-01 00-00-04.jpg 2003-08-01 00-13-32.jpg IMG_4252.jpg IMG_4260.jpg 2003-08-01 04-11-50.jpg

The strong winds remain all weekend, eliminating any kayak fishing. We may try again on Monday before I start my journey home.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

As usual a great report John and some fine catches. That is a great multi-species day. I hope you get another day to get after them.

Yak-67
    2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
    2019 Hobie Outback

Comment

Another very good Florida outing John.

I hope the weather allows another session on the water for you tomorrow.

Have a safe trip home.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice fish John! What did you catch the bonefish on?

Did you invite any of the snapper home to dinner?
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Barracuda on topwater???? Awesome
          We're you surprised you did not catch any trout when you were catching reds?
          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
            Nice fish John! What did you catch the bonefish on?

Did you invite any of the snapper home to dinner?
            The bonefish were caught on a tiny jighead with some hair or marabou tied on. It was tipped with just a small chunk of fresh dead shrimp (not frozen). I cast the jig out as far as I could and slowly hopped it back to the kayak.

We kept no fish except for the barracuda that was bitten in half. Apparently shark love barracuda -- one of the pieces of cut barracuda was responsible for the lemon shark.
            John Veil
            Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
              Barracuda on topwater???? Awesome
              We're you surprised you did not catch any trout when you were catching reds?
              The topwater plug I used this trip was a white floating plug with a blunt nose. I cast it out and worked it back as fast as possible. Last June, while fishing with Randy, I caught a 41" barracuda on a topwater popper shortly after dawn. That fish was a beast.

IMG_31261.jpg 2003-08-01 00-00-24.jpg

The Everglades tidal pond where I caught the snook does not seem to hold trout. The redfish I caught was a surprise to Alex -- he had not seen one there in several years. Different species must seek out different habitats.
              John Veil
              Annapolis

Comment

Another great trip for you John, thanks for sharing!
                Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                A 20" bonefish pulls harder than a 30" striper -- the lightning fast runs are breathtaking.
                Every fork tailed fish is stronger than every equal size broom tail fish...I always got attacked speaking that truth on this board, nice to see you can get away with it.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

Sounds like a great trip John. I may need to go out with a guide myself. I have been doing very well but still haven't found one of those elusive Tarpon. Would love to get a bonefish also. Today will be my 14th consecutive day of kayak fishing. I've been getting lots of reds and snook but have only caught 4 trout so far. I could fish an area I know that has more trout but the fish are smaller there. Biggest snook is 28 1/2, biggest red 28. Am fishing till Friday and then back home to reallity

Comment

Originally posted by mike o View Post
                    Sounds like a great trip John. I may need to go out with a guide myself. I have been doing very well but still haven't found one of those elusive Tarpon. Would love to get a bonefish also. Today will be my 14th consecutive day of kayak fishing. I've been getting lots of reds and snook but have only caught 4 trout so far. I could fish an area I know that has more trout but the fish are smaller there. Biggest snook is 28 1/2, biggest red 28. Am fishing till Friday and then back home to reallity
                    Your snook and redfish catches are impressive. Tarpon have always been difficult for me to catch. Even when you find them rolling, it is a challenge to get them to bite. And for every several that bite, you are lucky to get one to the boat. On this trip I hooked a 30 lb and 20 lb fish, plus a few that were several lbs. All got off the hook. My only caught tarpon was a juvenile. Bonefish are also tough to find. I think I have caught 6 of them in my lifetime, either in the Miami area or in the Keys.

I don't know any guides in SW Florida. Alex Tejeda in Miami is the closest one I know. John Rentch knows a guide in Matlacha -- you can contact him.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis

Comment

I finished off the trip yesterday by catching several barracuda, jack crevalle, mangrove snapper, and a 4-ft lemon shark. The shark kept pulling and pulling.

2003-08-01 05-10-02.jpg 2003-08-01 05-13-33.jpg 2003-08-01 04-30-45.jpg
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis

Comment

How is the red tide this year, John?
                        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

John, I really enjoy your Florida trip reports. Very neat to see what fishing can be like in a different area and the variety of species that can be caught.

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                            How is the red tide this year, John?
                            Last winter the red tide affected much of the Gulf coast from Naples up to the mouth of Tampa Bay. I have not seen much on social media about it this year. Snaggedline member Mike O spent some time near Naples over the past few weeks. He was successful in catching fish and did not report any red tide issues. He can chime in about what he saw and heard.

The places where I fished this trip (Everglades back country and Keys) were not affected by the red tide last year or this year.

Walleye Pete relocated his guide business to Florida a few days ago and will stay there until late April. He will keep his 27' Judge at a marina in Tarpon Springs. He also brought a canoe with him, and will fish under electric motor power near Ozello on days that are too windy to go out in the Gulf. So far, his catches have been good with no mention of red tide issues.
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis

Comment

John,
                              Glad you could make it down there this winter, loads of fish to catch and warmer weather also.
                              John Rentch
                              Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                              Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Working...
                              X