Fletcher's Cove 07/02/2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fletcher's Cove 07/02/2020

NPS finally opened the parking lots at Fletcher's Cove so me and my son decided to get in our first Potomac trip of the year. The parking lots were mostly empty and the kayak launching 'beach' was completely blocked by logs. After a bit of moving what logs I could, I managed to get a barely passable meandering path to the water. Not fun with a loaded 14ft kayak. Now if I had half a brain at the time, I would've realized that if it was that much of a hassle going downhill, going uphill after a day of fishing would be a hair shy of crazy. Unfortunately, covid induced cabin fever must've robbed me of my normal thought processes.

The fishing was decent with blue cats more than willing to eat what what we had to offer (thawed bluegill chunks from a previous community storm pond outing). Still trying to figure out portion size as no matter what size bait/hook I throw at them, its hard to find fish in the edible size range (for reference in the picture below, my boat is 3ft wide and the fish in the water was too big to drag onto the kayak). Maybe its the deep water at Fletchers that attracts the bigger fish as Ive never had an issue finding smaller blue cats at places like Bushwood or Mattawoman? In the end, we found three worth keeping. Also of note was that we only saw one other boat fishing. There were fewer people fishing from shore as well.

New this trip were the snags that refused to come free. Given the rocky nature of the bottom, Im used to hitting snags there. What I'm not used to were snags that I couldn't break free from with 15lb test and 20lb leader. How you can pull 400lbs worth of kayak, people and gear upstream and not break 15lb line was new to me. I would reel in as much line as I could, point the rod straight at the snag, cup the reel, pull as far and hard as I could and nothing. Still snagged. I finally found a way to get free by doing the same thing but while under full power from the motor. After getting free a few times with terminal tackle intact, I pulled up the culprit! Massive piles and tangles of old mono. We're talking mono tumbleweeds here. I figured that all the mono at the bottom of river had more stretch than I had room to pull while anchored. Crazy and sad.

All in all a good day on the water and some of the nicely shaded mini waterfalls from the small tributaries in the area give good relief from the sun and heat.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg
    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
    Jackson Cuda 12

Great report, even if it does involve catfish. Always love kids fishing pics.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Back maybe 20 years ago I use to fish the Potomac several 100 yards above Chain Bridge during May and June from shore targeting nice schoolie stripers. I only used soft plastics, notably the 5" Bass Assassin on barbless 1/2oz jigs. Great striper fishing at times. Then about 10-12 years ago the big blue cats started showing up in high enough numbers to drive me outta there. I ended up trying a heavy weight action rod with a 4000 series Shimano spooled with 30# braid and still they'd break me off. I couldn't get away from them. You can't chase after them down river because of all the huge rocks running interference. The flow there is quite strong too. Only option was to just break them off and hope they can shake out the barbless jig. I don't like breaking stuff off so I stopped going them... not to mention I finally aged out of that rough and tumble area... to dangerous for me.
      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Working...
      X