Oregon Inlet Report 9/28 - 10/1 and Maiden Voyage on the Hobie Outback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oregon Inlet Report 9/28 - 10/1 and Maiden Voyage on the Hobie Outback

It has been several years since I've kayak fished OI and boy did it feel good to be back. Prior to the Hobie Outback I fished with a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100. My 2020 Outback has been sitting for a little over a month since I had it delivered. You bet your butt the anticipation for this trip was out of the roof. The first day we worked the flats, grass beds, and the new bridge and ended up with keeper Trout and Sheeps. Live sand fleas were plenty, just had to dig for them in the surf. Second and third way we did a little bit of exploration in search of deep creeks and docks, although the grass bed we encountered along the way were productive. Most of my trout were caught trolling with an occasional red mixed in. A buddy of mine prob caught over a dozen lizard fish but thats because he was mainly using gulps. It felt really good to be on a peddle kayak, especially in that area where wind and conditions could change on the fly. Biggest trout was just under 18" and biggest sheep was about 14". Other catches included short flounders, reds, and whiting. I am 100% satisfied with the investment and am already looking forward to my next trip. Outside of WD-40, how do you guys care for the mirage drive after outings?

Would love to fish Kipto and Cape Henlopen within the next couple of months.

Pics are on my Instagram account @ LiveYakFish.

Cheers!
    Hobie Outback
    WS Tarpon
    IG: #liveyakfish

Great report and a great fishing trip too. Congrats on the new Outback, I sure you are loving life in that "Cadi-Yak"

You have inspired me to take my Outback down next year to the Outer Banks. Had too much fun with the Grands this year, next year more fishing.

Tight Lines
    Yak67
    2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
    2019 Hobie Outback

Comment

Tips for maintaining your Mirage Drive and kayak
      (I’ve done this since I bought my 2014 Outback and have never had to replace Mirage Drive components)

1. Don’t use regular WD-40, use the ‘Water-Resistant Silicone’ WD-40 on all your metal and/or moving parts (eg Mirage Drive). Consistent use of regular WD-40 could lead to problems on non-metal parts that get inadvertently hit by overspray. The ‘WD’ in regular WD-40 stands for ‘water displacement’, so it’s good at removing moisture (bad for rubber gaskets) and not so good at lubricating moving, metal parts. The water resistant silicone helps keep those metal parts lubricated without damaging non-metal parts.

2. Rinse off the outside of the yak with fresh water after every trip. Don’t get lazy with this task. Do it after every trip.

3. If you keep your kayak indoors, open hatches and dry out the inside after every trip. Leave all hatches open (or partially open) to encourage airflow and prevent that musty, moldy smell
      5C41DCAA-B8E7-46B8-90C6-3FF53C96D178.jpg
      Last edited by baitball; 10-06-2020, 06:37 AM.
      -manny

Hobie Outback
      Wilderness Systems 130T
      Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Originally posted by baitball View Post
        (I’ve done this since I bought my 2014 Outback and have never had to replace Mirage Drive components)

1. Don’t use regular WD-40, use the ‘Water-Resistant Silicone’ WD-40 on all your metal and/or moving parts (eg Mirage Drive). Consistent use of regular WD-40 could lead to problems on non-metal parts that get inadvertently hit by overspray. The ‘WD’ in regular WD-40 stands for ‘water displacement’, so it’s good at removing moisture (bad for rubber gaskets) and not so good at lubricating moving, metal parts. The water resistant silicone helps keep those metal parts lubricated without damaging non-metal parts.

2. Rinse off the outside of the yak with fresh water after every trip. Don’t get lazy with this task. Do it after every trip.

3. If you keep your kayak indoors, open hatches and dry out the inside after every trip. Leave all hatches open (or partially open) to encourage airflow and prevent that musty, moldy smell
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]26805[/ATTACH]
        Manny, thanks for the recommendation. will head to the local HD to pick up a bottle.
        Hobie Outback
        WS Tarpon

Comment

Originally posted by baitball View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26805[/ATTACH]
          I second Ron's advice on cleaning the kayak after every trip - I don't look forward to it, but I chalk it up as the price I pay for a day on the water.

I also leave my hatches open while in storage.

The only thing I would add is to loosen all of your bungees, so they don't get permanently stretched.
          2015 Hobie Revolution 13
          2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Or you could do like me and half heartedly clean it once a year at the end of the season. Drives my ADD fishing partners crazy but it fishes just fine and the patina is hard earned from countless fishing trips. If you’re happy cleaning your boat, then by all means do so. As for me, a nap awaits and plastic never rusts.
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I am in between..I use Break Free CLP A few times a year on my Mirage Drive, Rinse it frequently with fresh water, and give it a good wash with a soft bristle brush and warm sudsy water four or five times a year when the yak gets slimed up.
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

My first Hobie was a 2012 Revo with the standard fins. I used WD-40 on the Mirage Drive for 6 years and saw no ill consequences. The reason I used it is because at that time (2012 to 2013) Hobie reps themselves recommended it on the the Hobie Users' Forum. Then years later I started reading critiques stating the same as the above about the possible damage of WD-40 on plastic. All the while I had seen no damage to my 2012 Mirage Drive. However, to be cautious, I switched to the silicone version when I bought my 2018 Revo. I've been using that on my 2018 180 Drive. Again, no problems in 2 years.

I think Big Mike would consider me ADD too. I rinse off and wipe down my kayaks after each use unless I return home in the dark. Then I do it in the morning. Sometimes I even take soap and a brush to them. Dawn Dish Detergent is a great cleaner by the way. (Please -- No one tell me that is killing the plastic. )

In addition to lubrication I rinse my mirage drive with fresh water from the hose and then blow it dry with an air compressor. I was once taken to task on this forum for doing that. But again, no performance issues. I store my Mirage Drive by hanging it from the ceiling of my garage. I believe that allows it to dry thoroughly.

One more thing on the drive. I always pull it before landing, even if I have to paddle a short distance to shore. I think that's even more important when landing in a sandy area. The Mirage Drive is a unique machine in that most of its moving parts are fully exposed. Swirling sand in the water of beach landing can find its way inside the unit. That's one reason I rinse it thoroughly after use. By removing it prior to landing, I believe it may save it from excessive exposure to sand.

Finally, I also leave the hatches open when the boat is stored. I take it a step farther too. I wipe down the hatch gaskets with Armor All. Neither of my Hobies have ever leaked at the hatches.

I know our kayaks are merely tools. Wear and tear is inevitable. But I figure giving them little TLC can't hurt. Besides, I like to do it.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                  My first Hobie was a 2012 Revo with the standard fins. I used WD-40 on the Mirage Drive for 6 years and saw no ill consequences. The reason I used it is because at that time (2012 to 2013) Hobie reps themselves recommended it on the the Hobie Users' Forum. Then years later I started reading critiques stating the same as the above about the possible damage of WD-40 on plastic. All the while I had seen no damage to my 2012 Mirage Drive. However, to be cautious, I switched to the silicone version when I bought my 2018 Revo. I've been using that on my 2018 180 Drive. Again, no problems in 2 years.

I think Big Mike would consider me ADD too. I rinse off and wipe down my kayaks after each use unless I return home in the dark. Then I do it in the morning. Sometimes I even take soap and a brush to them. Dawn Dish Detergent is a great cleaner by the way. (Please -- No one tell me that is killing the plastic. )

In addition to lubrication I rinse my mirage drive with fresh water from the hose and then blow it dry with an air compressor. I was once taken to task on this forum for doing that. But again, no performance issues. I store my Mirage Drive by hanging it from the ceiling of my garage. I believe that allows it to dry thoroughly.

One more thing on the drive. I always pull it before landing, even if I have to paddle a short distance to shore. I think that's even more important when landing in a sandy area. The Mirage Drive is a unique machine in that most of its moving parts are fully exposed. Swirling sand in the water of beach landing can find its way inside the unit. That's one reason I rinse it thoroughly after use. By removing it prior to landing, I believe it may save it from excessive exposure to sand.

Finally, I also leave the hatches open when the boat is stored. I take it a step farther too. I wipe down the hatch gaskets with Armor All. Neither of my Hobies have ever leaked at the hatches.

I know our kayaks are merely tools. Wear and tear is inevitable. But I figure giving them little TLC can't hurt. Besides, I like to do it.
                  I really appreciate all of the helpful tips guys. It already pains me to see the inevitable scratches on the bottom of the hull from sand/debris and loading/launching. I've picked up a bottle of the silicone WD40 and even asked a Hobie staff about it. His main advice was just to rinse after use but also echoed Mark's reply about debris getting into the unit. Debris as in mud and silt. He says fishing in muddy water does the most harm to the drive. To reiterate what Mark said about pulling up to shore, I think that's a good move to help prevent sand or debris from making its way into the drive. Loosening the bungees is a good idea as well.

In regards to storage, my Outback can finally rest upside down on mounted 2x4s in my shed, just like its pictured in the manual. That was a project we tackled today.
                  Hobie Outback
                  WS Tarpon

Comment

Originally posted by ILV2F5H View Post
                    ...It already pains me to see the inevitable scratches on the bottom of the hull from sand/debris and loading/launching...
                    I know how you feel. It's like getting a ding in the parking lot on your new car's door.

The scratches on our boats do no harm -- just dent our psyches slightly -- if we're the kind who are concerned over such things.

But I have to say I've seen some real kayak abusers. I once saw a guy, unknown to me, at the Goodhands Creek Landing on Kent Island, drag a Hobie with its weight on the keel at the stern up the concrete ramp and across the asphalt parking lot to his vehicle. No cart. I was astounded. I just watched. I should have offered him the use of my scupper cart but I didn't think quick enough to do so. Some day that boat may leak from the stern and he'll probably wonder why.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I’ll be in Avon from 10/24 thru 10/31 and plan on fishing Oregon Inlet. I’ve fished it several times, but not this late in year. Any ideas/advice? Thanks, Al.

Comment

Originally posted by Magothyman View Post
                        I’ll be in Avon from 10/24 thru 10/31 and plan on fishing Oregon Inlet. I’ve fished it several times, but not this late in year. Any ideas/advice? Thanks, Al.
                        Al - Whats your target species? I'm going to be back down this upcoming weekend. Staying in Nags Head.
                        Hobie Outback
                        WS Tarpon

Comment

I won’t be going out to the far bridge pilings. I usually stay in sight of the marina and CG Station. Doing that in the past has let me catch puppy drum, spec trout, rockfish, and flounder. Usually I’m trolling or casting whatever lures local fishing shops advise. Since I’m staying in Avon I’ll be fishing the Sound around there and Buxton. But I’ve never been this late in the year. Basic SINK kayak, leaving Hobie/mirage/FF at home. Thanks for any advice-Al

Comment

Originally posted by Magothyman View Post
                            I won’t be going out to the far bridge pilings. I usually stay in sight of the marina and CG Station. Doing that in the past has let me catch puppy drum, spec trout, rockfish, and flounder. Usually I’m trolling or casting whatever lures local fishing shops advise. Since I’m staying in Avon I’ll be fishing the Sound around there and Buxton. But I’ve never been this late in the year. Basic SINK kayak, leaving Hobie/mirage/FF at home. Thanks for any advice-Al
                            I'd cast and troll through the channel of Motts Creek. If people are still wade fishing you'd prob be 100 yds or so out from shore and away from them. Had good success on our previous trip. I'm doing some recon for bodies of water north of the Inlet and see some creeks I want to fish. Sucks that flounder season is closed but would still like to catch a doormat. Will try topwater if conditions are good. Am also wondering if the mullet are still active and around.
                            Hobie Outback
                            WS Tarpon

Comment

Working...
                            X