Ice Fishing in Minnesota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice Fishing in Minnesota

I've read threads where people are asking about winter fishing reports. While this one might not be pretty far from where we are, I thought it'd be fun to post my first experience ice fishing.

Thanks to the pandemic, I was able to work remotely from my cousin's house in Minnesota for a few weeks. Ice fishing has always been on my bucket list, so I figured I'd give it a go. After watching a few YouTube videos and talking to people out on the lakes it was easier than I thought to get started. Before I knew it, I was hooked! I have a few videos coming up of my PB LMB and my first time catching northern pike, it's crazy to think that I caught them ice fishing.

If you've never been ice fishing, I highly recommend it. It's similar to kayak fishing, in that you can go anywhere on the lake and not be shoulder to shoulder with other fishermen. And to add onto that, the thrill of fishing through the ice and pulling a big fish out is amazing!

Here's the latest vid i made, which was my 3rd time going out ice fishing. Lots of sunnies (sunfish) and a 20" LMB
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7pt...ature=youtu.be

Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

My idea of ice fishing is breaking through skim ice in my kayak. I've done that only a few times. Once I use the ice as an anchor to hold position and casted to open water.

I don't have the patience to hover over one spot. I like to move around when I fish in my kayak or by wading. I think I'd spend more time drilling additional holes on Minnesota lakes than fishing!

If you really get into this, maybe we'll see a hut in your future videos with a stove for heat and a comfortable chair to sit on in lieu of a bucket. I've seen photos where those structures get very elaborate -- a home away from home.

But you did very well roughing it with a minimum of gear.

Congratulations.
    Last edited by Mark; 01-29-2021, 02:31 PM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

That was pretty cool! Thanks for sharing. First time I've seen anyone catch something ice fishing.

My brother keeps inviting me to ice fish for smelts up in Maine. Apparently they rent out cabins, complete with stoves to stay warm, and spend several days in them. Pretty sure if they weren't drinking for 3 straight days while on the ice, they'd catch more.
      Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

thanks mark and mike.

While I was there, i was able to rent a trailer aka ice castle, which had a heater, bunks, stove, and everything you'd ever think of. It was like glamping for ice fishing. Gonna make a vid of that in the next few weeks, of course. But really got me thinking it'd be nice to get a pop up shelter with a mini heater and a underwater camera... maybe after I go a few more times.

and I can't complain about having a beer while catching some fish.

I tried to post a couple pics of it here, I always forget how to post images here. Check out the video when I post it later if you're interested.

Comment

Don't rule out ice fishing in Maryland. The opportunities are far fewer than in northern states like Minnesota, but they do exist. I have an Anne Arundel County fishing friend who loves ice fishing. He has loads of gear (sled, motorized auger, tip-ups, ice fishing depth sounder, ice crampons, etc). During a cold spell in February 2009, the ice was thick enough on the Magothy to ice fish there. We fished with several tip-ups and live minnows as bait, and by bouncing maggots near the bottom). The only bite we had that day was on a tip-up 50 yds from where I was sitting. By the time I got up from my seat and walked slowly across the ice, the minnow and predator were gone.

2009-02-01 007.JPG 2009-02-01 013.JPG

The following January, he invited me to join him to fish through the ice at a small lake in Washington County (western MD). On that trip, we caught largemouth bass, yellow perch, bluegill, and my first and only warmouth (last photo).

icefishing 3.jpg Copy of ice fishing 1.jpg 2010-01-16 010.JPG2010-01-16 008.jpg2010-01-16 011.JPG

I am grateful to him for the opportunity to try ice fishing. Having done it twice, I have no desire to go again.

Ice fishing is an option at western MD spots like Deep Creek Lake on many years. I suggest that if you have not tried it before, you hire a guide or go with someone who is experienced. And don't venture into areas with thin ice.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
          X