Bucket list trip to Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bucket list trip to Florida

I arrived home a week ago from a marvelous 20-day, 3,330-mile trip in which I drove around Florida and fished for 17 straight days. I fished with kayak guides on 10 days, on Walleye Pete's boat on 1 day, and 6 days using my own kayak. During the trip, I caught 31 different species of fish. I caught four species that were new to me, and had 9 species for which I caught personal best length fish.

This week I prepared a summary of the trip. It is 60 pages long, but has loads of photos and is a easy read. If you are interested in reading the story, go to https://drive.google.com/.../1LeCnti7.../view.... Click the download button.

The most memorable fish of the trip is the 80-lb, 76" sailfish I caught from a kayak on April 14 fishing a mile offshore from the south Florida coast. That fish and a few other large ones are pictured below. The report lists the fish I caught and gives the names of the guides I used.

Feel free to share the link with others who may be interested in this bucket list trip.

sailfish 2a.jpg IMG_7348.jpg IMG_7335.jpg tarpon 2.jpg amberjack 3.jpg bonefish 3.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Very nice John.

Seems like those 20 days merit adding a 3rd year to remember to your My Fishing Life book!

Congratulations on a fantastic trip.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Sounds like an outstanding trip and glad you found several PB fish and variety. Truly a bucket list trip.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Nice trip. When is your next trip, and are you thinking about coordinating a group trip? If so, I just may be interested.
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
          Nice trip. When is your next trip, and are you thinking about coordinating a group trip? If so, I just may be interested.
          It is too early to think about the next trip. I am likely to return to my practice of doing shorter trips (4-7 days) once I feel comfortable with flying again. If I can get spousal approval, I would like to do another long trip next winter to get away from the cold weather -- maybe rent a place in the Keys for 2-4 weeks.

I have organized out-of-town group trips often in the past, but feel that at this point in my life, I prefer to go solo. I am happy to share information about guides, lodgings, etc., so others can plan trips on their own. With most kayak guides, having a second or third person in the group reduces the per-person charter cost, but also reduces the personalized attention/assistance to rigging, finding fish, and fighting fish. Three of the guides I used on this trip towed me over long distances between fishing spots using an electric motor. If there are two client anglers, that becomes more difficult and slower.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
          X