OBX Sept 18/25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBX Sept 18/25

Trailered my yaks down to Avon last week hoping to fish several times. While my first long-distance trailering went smoothly, the fishing did not. Off-shore storms kept the Soundside in wind and waves that were not comfortable for me on the days I had available. I did spend several hours in my Hobie at Oregon Inlet one morning and got into some nice reds there. Kept a 19” puppy drum and had to throw back an 18” flounder cuz the season had just ended. The one day I fished in Avon I wasn’t able to boat anything but small nuisance fish. Back home now hoping the water temp has dropped a bit so that striper fishing in the Magothy will pick up. Al
    BF760E08-F266-4F56-A46B-B64F489668BF.jpg
    47CCDB09-2015-4118-A7AE-A89D904AB21E.jpg
    53E767AE-C4B2-45BC-9E26-321541663467.jpg

The main thing is always find the pros in everything, even in not entirely successful fishing. Thanks for sharing. I wish you good luck next time!

Comment

Wind is a huge factor when fishing at the OBX. I run into that problem a lot when we are at our place down there. Fortunately, I can usually still kayak fish in the canals on the sound side, even if the sound itself is too windy and wavy.

Comment

I fished Oregon Inlet in Sep and October this year. The most productive day turned out to be the windiest. When I landed the Drum in this pic I took the lure out and let the line dangle just a few inches off the side of my yak as I took this pic. As I’m taking this pic another huge drum comes up to my boat, takes the bait hanging off the side of the kayak and goes blazing down the channel. After fighting him for about 10 minutes I had to cut the line because the wind was blowing me too far out and it was getting too dangerous. You never know…. Sometimes the wind and chop can bring out the big ones. But that trip pushed my limits of how much risk I’m willing to take to catch a fish.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

On the calmer day, not much was biting in Oregon Inlet, but the water was calm enough to hold my bait under the bridge. Did great catching Sheepshead.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Working...
          X