No announcement yet.

JBay 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your welcome for that Flattie! LOL One thing I was talking to Foursteps and Metroman about for the future is sticking to what I know. I was so set on using the TnW that I completely neglected tactics that I would otherwise use. Swim shads, BKD's, or even just some cut bait... SMH. I didn't even work structures that I normally would. NEVER again!

It was definitely an eye opener for me. And it drove home what I see every weekend watching the FLW or whatever bass show I catch on the Outdoor channel when tourney guys go look for what they know. I ain't gonna be an expert at everything, but if I can just hone my skills in a few environments, I should be ok. D@mnit. Just came to mind that I didn't even throw my Gotcha... probably would have gotten some nice Blues if I would have thrown that in a Bunkah school. I got the date marked for next year!

Comment

im with you, next years tackle will not include the TNW. LTG/ Live Line all the way.

Snag hooks
      10 O Gami Circles
      3/4-2oz jigheads
      pink/ chart bkds and Hogy's
      Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

anyone know wheee i can catch some bunkaaa around bay bridge?
        Hobie Revolution 13
        Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Bunka at the Bey Bridge? Fugedaboutet. Bass.
          Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

da bunkah will be in soon. Just calm down, give it some time, and have a slice. Before you know it, the bunkaa will be so thikkk.
            <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Jack is wight, you wunt fish you need to catch some bass. But if you's really needin em, I know a guy. But when dem bunkaa come through you gotta deal wit dem bloos. LOL

Comment

can you caul em, caul em? im in need of some bunka for the weeeeeken. i wants to catch some bass at the bay bidge.
                Hobie Revolution 13
                Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

hopefully, none of those new yookas are reading this forum.

MKF will be banned next year lol
                  Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
                    Snag hooks
                    10 O Gami Circles
                    3/4-2oz jigheads
                    pink/ chart bkds and Hogy's
                    Exactly my plan except I will add some x-raps and some gear for Fluke fishing.

Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by Grilled View Post
                      hopefully, none of those new yookas are reading this forum.

MKF will be banned next year lol
                      LOL!!! Yep! They made fun of my "accent". But heck I get that even when I'm back in MD.

Comment

• For as much ragging on us "southerners" was heard I doubt a little Bunka Bass humor would ban us. I bet they make fun of us calling Bass "Rock" and Bunka "Bunker"
                        Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

• Noo Yawkah Report

HEY! I'm a Noo Yawkah and damn proud of it! I don't know what a new yookas is. Is that pronounced like hookah or yoo-hoo? LOL!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuMLSqTDHaY"]Noo Yawk Accent Show Teaser - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_dialect"]New York dialect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Sorry I'm late to the recap. You youngstahs can put in the hours at your ages. Enjoy it. Been there, done that in my surf running days. I don't have quite the stamina anymore so I went FLUKE fishing. I could do more if we're plugging but the kayak is a lot more work than waders, plug bag and rod.

My plan after arrival was to get settled Friday afternoon, prepare the kayak for the morning and, go plugging after sunset at the mouth of Mill Basin. Outgoing tide corresponded with sunset. Why no kayak? I wanted to get up early. Word was that the bite was in the early morning.

2 hours of plugging yielded a skunk. Went back to camp, drank a couple beers with the crew and turned in. Woke up a bit after 3am, got going before 4 and was on the water just before 5am. Peddled across to the channel where the action had been the day before and ran into most of the guys. I then proceeded with another skunk! There were fish taken but it wasn't thick. Some giant bluefish and stripers in the low 30's. It was cloudless, the breeze died and then the no-see-ums came out! Once the sun got up high I knew the bite would be slow or non-existent. Headed back to the launch for a needed break. Then, back out for some FLUKE'in. Ran into Cliff06 and BigFLUKE45 and they joined me. On the water we ran into MtyMouse and we started bucktailing for floun... FLUKE. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oKzzpM0-qw"]Bucktail Fluke Fishing - Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Everyone got a couple. I picked up 7 in a few drifts. Several swings and misses. Nice action. 2 went 24", 1 went 20" and the rest were 18" or so. No pics. Camera left at camp. Duh! Oh, and a killer sea robin. I think Rob was high hook on sea robins. They fight pretty good but always a disappointment when it's not a FLUKE. A school of bunker came by and Cliff went to snag a couple. He live-lined one and caught one of those killer bluefish. These bad boys are skinny and all head upon their arrival in the spring fresh from the continental shelf. I wasn't interested in live lining (been there, done that) so kept after the FLUKE. Once the tide slowed so did the bite so I called it quits. The youngstahs stuck with it a while longer but no more were caught. The tide was slowing and 2 drifts without a hit told me it was time.

Back at camp, got a bite to eat. Met Jim's girlfriend, Stephanie, Michael returned from the wedding and we all had a few drinks. I was planning to go out in the kayak Saturday night but most everyone else was planning another early morning outing. The drinks were flowing and I thought better of going out alone. So... it was off to Mill Basin to try some plugging again. I fished a different spot a little more inside from the mouth. I had observed a decent point the night before after the tide dropped. This time I was rewarded with a couple schoolies maybe 22-24". Having gotten my striper fix in it was back to camp where the guys were grilling burgers and dogs and Jim broke out some of his bourbon. Uh oh! Well, not really. I had no plans to fish Sunday morning. I was planning to pack up and hit the road by 9am-ish. I did not want to be on the NJ turnpike or DC beltway in the afternoon. That was a good call because I heard on the radio later in the day that traffic was pretty bad going over the America Legion bridge.

Great time. Will do it again next year for sure! It was a real good MKF turnout. Nice job everyone! And congrats Jack for placing in the tournament. Good job!

Comment

• Had a great time at jbay. It was nice to meet a lot more people from the site and have a chance to fish with them. I got skunked Thursday and Friday but had a lot of fun snagging bunker. I wish I would have concentrated more on following around the bunker. Saturday morning I hooked up with a 30" rock and a nice blue but was unable to land the blue, I lost him next to the boat. After the morning bite I ran into jffoley and decided to join him in some fluke fishing. Bigfluke and MytMouse also came out and we got into them rather quickly. I landed one nice 24" and a couple others but I think I only caught one more keeper (over 19.5"), I also landed a couple sea robins which provided some fun pullage. After a while, Rob and I got into some bunker and I landed a nice 33" blue. It was a great fight, those fish have a few screws loose. I also caught another 32 1/2" blue while jigging a 2 oz bucktail with a strip of bunker while fishing for fluke. This fish had a giant head, much larger than the 33". However, the fish must have sustained a wound at some point because there was a chunk missing from his belly towards his tail. I believe the fish would have been larger if it had not sustained an attack. I caught a couple more fluke and sea robin over the next couple days. It was a fun weekend and I will definitely have the weekend marked off for next year with a different plan of attack. FOLLOW THE BUNKAAAH!!!
                            Attached Files
                            Cliff Williams
                            Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

• Cliff, man, you are playing with fire! You see that blue eying your thumb in pic #2?!? You're right, they have a few screws loose. And they can see out of water almost as good as in water! He wanted your thumb!

Comment

• Originally posted by jffoley View Post
                                Cliff, man, you are playing with fire! You see that blue eying your thumb in pic #2?!? You're right, they have a few screws loose. And they can see out of water almost as good as in water! He wanted your thumb!
                                He is looking right at it. Kinda creepy.
                                Cliff Williams
                                Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Working...
                                X