Magothyman In Beaufort SC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magothyman In Beaufort SC

7C92AF16-FA2E-4D90-B17A-43C48D7CBA61.jpg About 3 weeks ago (November 2021) my YouTube homepage started posting fishing videos from a young man kayak fishing around Beaufort SC—an area right next to Parris Island and between Charleston and Savannah. On a regular basis he was filming and posting numerous catches of redfish and speckled trout with advice on how/when/where to catch them. During the vids he listed his email address for his guide service. Since fishing success on the Magothy for me was sub-par this year I contacted him and arranged for guide service this past Wednesday (Dec 15) and Thursday (Dec 16). Rather than rent his Hobie, I trailered mine down from Arnold area on the kayak trailer I bought this year. I also purchased a new Ugly Stick and reel outfitted with braid (I had never used braid before).
    It was a 9 hour drive for me —the trailer worked great.
    First day was a 9 am start on out-going tide in a large creek that ran thru marshland. Mostly fished around docks and while we did not have a prolific 4 hours, his explanations on fish habits, habitats, rod/reel/lure usage and other info on red/trout fishing was very valuable. We went into some small creeks in the marsh that I was stunned held fish! No fish bigger than 15” the first day, but still a gas to fight! 31612274-6FF1-49A4-89A1-889EC95E439E.jpg
    The second day started at 9 am on an outgoing tide in a remote area. Within 20 minutes we were in front of a creek and found feeding trout and landed several. Houston (the guide) then saw spotted some movement in the flats of the river outside the creek mouth. My first cast into the school of reds that were in 18” of water was hit by a 32” monster red. I was literally towed around for several minutes by the fish as I fought to reel it in. It was crazy trying to keep the yak pointed at the fish using the hand rudder, scraping the bottom along the mud, and holding the rod with one hand a feeling like my arm was about to be ripped off! 42DB7CA4-9B95-401C-BBA4-E9BE1F38F810.jpg2CE89EC8-EF47-4F3B-8778-614B66EE9E8A.png
    During the next epic hour I caught 7 reds, with two being over 30”, two in the upper 20”s, and and the rest 18” to 25”. After that hour or so I was pooped but we went up the creek for over a mile and landed trout on a regular basis as well as a bluefish. We literally yakked in creeks 3 feet wide and 4” deep to find pools that held fish. Not having the fishing experience that many on this forum have, I wouldn’t have believed it unless I did it myself.
    I have no problem recommending this young man , Houston Stewart, as a guide if anyone is interested in fishing that area. Check out his YouTube channel (Beaufort SC Fishing). My trip isn’t posted yet, but I hope he got some video and posts soon. If anyone wants his direct contact info pls PM me.
    Al—Magothyman
    Attached Files

Al - That sounds like a wonderful trip, especially when the fishing at home is on the slow side. It is hard to compare catching 16" to 22" pickerel to 32" reds or big trout. I'm glad you were able to enjoy the experience.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

J.A.—I’ve followed your posts about fishing Tampa Bay Area for a few years. My next trip may be a stopover in Beaufort while on my way to fish Tampa Bay.

Comment

I know a kayak guide in Swansboro, NC who catches reds and trout consistently. He really knows his local waters. It sounds like the guide you used is the same way.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Looks like a blast
          Mike
          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Great job! Beaufort is one of the best places to kayak, launches everywhere. I have been following that YouTube kid for a while, he really put me onto fishing down there. That kid can catch! It was fun watching him progress from a kid who was soooo excited from his BIGGEST drum ever to a sponsored guide, still fun to watch. Try Fripp next
            Jay

10' Green Slayer
            13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Working...
            X