Bucket List Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bucket List Trip

Just finished a 3 day trip to Big Pine Key, Fl for some kayak fishing in the mangroves with John Veil. Our guide-Randy Morrow of “Lower Keys Kayak Fishing” was great. His kayaks, equipment were in excellent shape. The use of his Torquedo made covering ground very easy. The winds were high most of the time, so I only fished 2 of the 3 days. I still added 5 new species to my list. We threw cut bait (Lemon Sharks), pink jigs with shrimp (Bonnethead Sharks, Grunts, Snapper), and #3 hook with 4" white fluke (Barracuda) to the shoreline hunting for fish. The scenery was fabulous, especially the time we spent of a Keys Flat!

96DBE0BE-C531-4BCF-830F-9FC226EB669A.jpg
    We stayed at the Old Wooden Bridge Fishing Lodge in Big Pine Key. Very comfortable, clean and it was on the water. Has all you necessary ammenities: bedroom-double bed, bathroom with shower, living room with pull out sofa (pretty comfortable), small kitchen with stove, fridge, microwave, front deck with table and chairs. Also Dish TV with lots of channels
    8998EC81-082C-4D94-8F9B-22A19559C52C.jpg
    I was able to land Lemon and Bonnethead Shark, Barracuda, Striped Grunt, and Mangrove Snapper. We tried for Tarpon our last evening, but could not locate any. Here is a Bonnethead Shark on the jig with shrimp. This size is not too hard to handle.
    02C7A24E-EC5C-445C-902D-C9D8608117C8.jpg
    This is a Striped Grunt on the pink jig with shrimp. Just like catching our White Perch.
    CA9DEA90-B806-41EC-B6EF-AAB13A1CB92E.jpg
    This is my 27" Barracuda on the white plastic with a #3 hook. Handling one this size again is like our Pickerel. They are also very slippery.
    B9A81F8E-F21B-4BFE-B8A7-020FB5F2644D.jpg
    Last edited by J. Rentch; 03-26-2022, 08:51 AM.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Looks like a good time despite the wind.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

John,

That's fantastic.

Congrats on a great trip.

I'm sure there's room in the bucket for even more exceptional fishing experiences.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I had a few extra days in the Keys before and after John was there. The wind impeded the usual sight fishing that our guide likes to do, but nevertheless, I caught plenty of quality fish (lemon sharks to 42", bonnethead sharks to 36", a personal best mangrove snapper of 18", a bonefish, many other grunts and snappers, and a lot of barracuda). This morning I caught two huge cudas. The first one (35") hit a surgical tubing "cuda tube" in only 10" of water. I could see the fish streak over to intercept the tube, then give me a bunch of drag burning runs. The second one (33") was lurking under some mangrove roots. I cast a silvery Buzztail paddletail there and had another strong strike with multiple runs.

I hate to say goodbye to the Keys tomorrow morning, but must continue on to try out some other spots.

8769430827941702411.jpg

9207828776888059137.jpg

2022-03-24-007.jpg

2022-03-24-017.jpg

IMG_20220321_203143.jpg
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Very nice John!

Continued success to you on your FL trip.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Looks like an awesome time!!

Ever since I got a taste of tropical flats fishing in Belize earlier this year I have been drooling over the idea of a Florida fishing vacation.
            Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
            2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Congrats Gents - thanks for sharing the pics and adventures.
              Nick
              2021 Hobie Outback

Comment

Congratulations. I made a similar trip at the beginning of March and the wind kept me off the water about half the time. Nonetheless I learned a lot and landed a few fish as well. I’m glad you guys found an affordable place to stay, I ended up camping in the Everglades to get affordable. Even camping near Big Pine Key was $85 a night, too much for a piece of dirt next to a hundred RVs and their generators. Looks like you had a great time. I’m going to repeat the trip in September and hope for better winds and grouper being in season.

Comment

Thanks Ted, it was a great learning experience. I would like to go back a little later in the spring when, hopefully the winds are less. I really wanted to fly fish, but winds too strong for me. Those mangroves were great.
                  John Rentch
                  Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                  Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Looks like this was an amazing trip!

Comment

Working...
                    X