Swansboro, NC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swansboro, NC

Greetings - Last week I did some fishing during a family vacation in Emerald Isle, NC. (thanks for the suggestions on car topping/packing for the drive.) I went out with a guide that John Veil (thanks John!) recommended - Tim "NCPierman" Taramelli. Tim was awesome - great knowledge of the area, patient, and a good teacher. I was excited about the trip - when I called Tim the week prior he was on the water and caught three reds while we spoke on the phone - all on topwater lures.

We fished my preference using mostly topwater lures without a hit for most of the two days. Tim used a cast net to catch some mullet and soon after he caught our first -red. Yep - I switched to cut bait. I caught my first fish from my kayak - a 12-14" "rat" size drum - and it chased off the skunk from my last two trips and broke the ice. As Tim predicted - at the tide change I landed a few larger slot-sized keepers about (23-24") on cut bait. I love fishing for reds - such a powerful and beautiful fish. The wind made things tough but the temps were comfortable. I learned a ton - from navigating the kayak, reading the water, using stick pins, stand-up fishing, and how to properly land a fish in the kayak - all new skills for me. It was a great trip. Now I need to get on some fish here at home.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Nick
    2021 Hobie Outback

Nice work Nick! Slot reds are a lot of fun. I've caught rat reds before but never caught any slot fish till last year - really looking forward to doing it again this year! A lot of those skills you learned should translate nicely to fishing back at home.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Congrats on the reds.

Indeed, they are great fun to catch and very fortunately for us, they thrive in shallow water, succumb to sight-casting and will hit a variety of lures, flies and baits.

My only wish is that they were more prevalent here in mid-Chesapeake region.

Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice going Nick. Tim is a good fisherman and guide. Redfish are fairly common in his local area, and he catches them with regularity.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
        X