Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Isle of Palms - South Carolina (Charleston)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isle of Palms - South Carolina (Charleston)

Thinking about the Chesapeake Bay this time of year but hear the rockfish are getting a reprieve in April. Down here the bait has been moving more into the creeks in back of Isle of Palms. The redfish and trout bite has been getting consistent. I typically prefer live shrimp and cut mullet over artificials and the catch margin, at least for me, is typically far higher with bait. Reversed today in that the gold spoon worked well even on a couple horse mullet. Only had two spoons with me and the catch rate was great while it lasted. An errant cast sent one into the stands. Wrote that one off as I wasn't going to shred the hull of my kayak on the oyster beds between me and it. The second, met its fate when I took a cast with my lighter rod. Fishing in less than 20 inches of water. Hooked a redfish in the 30” inch range in the middle of an oyster bed minefield. You know how the rest of that story goes. On the tide change went offshore of Dewees Island looking for Spanish Mackerel. Didn’t see any. They will be around soon though.

4253.jpg 4261.jpg 4251.jpg
    4255.jpg
    Attached Files
    Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
    Predator 13

Great day for you. Anxiously awaiting the striper season to open and hopefully soon specks and reds to follow.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Fishtank—Nice big fish! I’m in Myrtle Beach this week on a golf trip thru Wednesday afternoon. I trailed my Hobie with me and as soon as I finish golf tomorrow I’m headed down to Beaufort. I had an epic guided trip December with a kayak fishing guide and I’ve reserved him for this Thursday and Friday. Can’t wait!

Comment

Enjoy your time in Beaufort and guide trip Magothyman. Been meaning to fish those waters. Esp. over by Hunting Island. I plan to get out this weekend. Maybe by the marsh opposite of Folly Inlet. Last year at this time I was getting a lot of Spanish mackerel and trout mixed together in the same spot.
        Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
        Predator 13

Comment

Fishtank,

Thank you for your report.

I am not familiar with the area you fished so I searched for it on a map. Indeed, it looks like excellent redfish water, especially the cuts and channels between island and the mainland. Is it?

Also, what is the last fish in your photos?

Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark, you are right, the area between Island of Palms and the mainland is an excellent place to fish for reds and trout. I've had decent flounder fishing there as well.

My favorite places to fish are tributaries off a main creek (see pic) where several small creeks come together and dump into a larger tributary. If oyster beds are present, better yet. A cast net typically provides all the bait you need. You all probably know but the best time to fish down here is close to low tide. As the tide drops, the bait is flushed out of the grass and the redfish follow. They are then funneled into the smaller tributaries, then flushed from there to where I like to set up. At high tide the reds are scattered in the grass or anyplace else they are foraging. Thing is most power boats can't get back to many of these spots as it's simply too shallow so a kayak is perfect. The last fish picture is a mullet. Did manage to snag a couple.
            284.jpg 283.jpg 282.jpg 281.jpg
            Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
            Predator 13

Comment

Thank you.

Sounds like an excellent destination for east coast reds and specks. I checked and there is no shortage of guides in the area online.

I've seen mullets jumping in FL. But I've never hooked one to see it up close.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                I've seen mullets jumping in FL. But I've never hooked one to see it up close.
                Mark - I have caught mullet twice in Tampa Bay. They were actually hooked in the mouth and not snagged (the photo shows the plastic tail in its mouth -- I think it is a Slam R). The first time was in Jan 2014. This was a trip with Neil and you were along that day. They fight pretty well -- initially I thought I had hooked a small red.

007.jpg

John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John,

Yes...I remember your catch. I also recall Neil saying that jumping mullet were a sign that redfish were present.

I would get my hopes up, but those schools of airborne mullet must have been chased by something else.

Thank goodness the reds in Laguna Madre have been kinder to me.

This site in SC seems to hold promise for excellent shallow water red fishing and I can reach it by driving instead of flying to TX,

Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

Fishtank—my first day in Beaufort (yesterday) I hit the Beaufort slam—redfish, trout, and flounder. Hooked a puffer fish too! I’ll post pics in a few days under my own thread. Your description of how to fish for reds is exactly what my guide advises. Headed out at 11 am today to fish. Headed home to Md tomorrow.

Comment

That's awesome Magothyman. The weather looks like it was a 10 as well.
                      Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
                      Predator 13

Comment

Mullet is very good eating too. You can bet that that fish would have been in my cooler!
                        Brian

Comment

Working...
                        X