Something different - new species

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something different - new species

I generally prefer to fish with lures rather than with bait. But there are times when bait makes the most sense to catch certain species. Before today, I had never caught a longnose gar. On my final day fishing with kayak guide Tim Ncpierman Taramelli, I asked him to take John Rentch and me fishing for gar. Neither of us had ever caught longnose gar before. They have long slender mouths filled with needle teeth.

gar mouth.jpg

John Rentch and I met Tim at a boat ramp on the New River in Jacksonville, NC. We paddled slowly upstream to a location where Tim knows the gar hang out. We could see many of them breaking the surface. We anchored our kayaks and threw out chunks of bait.

KIMG9535.jpg
    2021-04-11-003.jpg

Every so often, a gar would gently take a bait and swim slowly away. In most other types of fishing, I would set the hook immediately upon feeling the bite or would steadily wind in enough line to set a circle hook. Under Tim's guidance, we waited a long time while allowing the gar to take out more line. This gave them time to reposition the bait in their long slender mouths so the hook would hold. I caught two gar (29" and 36") to add a new species to my 2022 species list. John Rentch caught three gar to 30". I tried to photograph my longer gar on the measuring board. But even as a tall guy with long arms, I cannot lean back far enough to show the entire fish in the view.

2021-04-11-002.jpg

KIMG9533.jpg

KIMG9530.jpg

It was mighty hot out there today and the bite was slow, so we ended the trip by noon. Afterwards, we said goodbye to Tim and drove north to Virginia and will fish in Virginia waters for the next few days.
    Last edited by J.A. Veil; 07-25-2022, 06:47 AM.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Nice report and photos guys,

Congrats on the new species.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Congrats on the new species. I've hooked a few gar in our local waters but never actually got one to the boat. Not only are their beaks slender they are hard as bone, so it's difficult to get a good hookset on these guys. Did you run into any bowfin out there?
      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
      2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Congratulations on the new species!

It would have been even better if you had caught it on that ratty assed worn out spinner jig you've been using recently. lol

Comment

Originally posted by dsaavedra View Post
          Congrats on the new species. I've hooked a few gar in our local waters but never actually got one to the boat. Not only are their beaks slender they are hard as bone, so it's difficult to get a good hookset on these guys. Did you run into any bowfin out there?
          Dave - We hoped to find bowfin but were unsuccessful. Regarding handling them, Tim told us to take a rag and grab the bill. That gave a pretty solid grip and took the teeth out of play.

You are correct about the hookset. I have hooked many small Florida gar in the Everglades that grab on without getting hooked, and landed only one of them. The secret is to let the fish hold the bait/lure for an extended period of time so it can reposition the bait/lure in its mouth. Once it gets further into the mouth, a hook is more likely to get caught.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
          X