OBX Oregon Inlet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBX Oregon Inlet

I spent last week (Oct 22 thru Oct 29) in Avon, NC. Took two kayaks —one SINK and my Hobie Outback—to fish from. Unfortunately, the wind gusted all day , every day, except Wednesday. I put in at Oregon Inlet on Wednesday morning to virtually flat water (very unusual there). Due to shallow water, I used the SINK because the fins on the Hobie would have been useless in most areas. In 3 hours I hit a Trifecta—2 flounder, three speck trout, and two redfish. The biggest redfish was 24” and gave quite a fight. It literally towed my yak around in circles for five minutes before giving up! I caught it in 2 feet of water while casting a 3” yellow paddle tail. That day made towing the yaks down there worth the effort. I’m headed down to Beaufort, SC, next month to fish for reds again.
    915C3460-71BB-41BD-A229-7DB530ABADAF.jpg 2D6A754A-6BBE-4ADD-BC1F-13F4A397316D.jpg 26FEBF18-BD36-457C-AE67-8EF37B0AE011.jpg 66D8ED0A-C0C0-4336-BB9E-963534A43967.jpg

Nice fish! I took my kayak down to OBX several years ago and fished hard for 3 days straight, mostly around the east side of Roanoake Island. I caught no fish at all until the end of the third trip, I think I put two tiny rat reds in the boat. I was happy to have finally caught something. Now that I have a lot more kayak fishing experience under my belt I'd like to try it again
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Beautiful looking reds! Congrats on the trifecta - that wind can be a real bear, glad you got a window and made the most out of it.
      Nick
      2021 Hobie Outback

Comment

Magothyman Cool trip report. I need to catch some flounder some day. I'm headed down this coming weekend. Not sure if I'll get out in the kayak, but we will see what the weather brings.

Comment

I tried fishing Oregon Inlet in my Pro Angler several years ago. Unless you stayed in the boat channel with 50’ offshore boats racing by it was useless. That area brings a whole new definition to shallow. Well done on the reds.
          Mike
          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Working...
          X