personal best redfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• personal best redfish

Today was my second fishing day of an extended trip to Florida. I fished in Mosquito Lagoon for three hours this morning. I had fished there once before with a guide, and things did not go well. Today I fished by myself using my own kayak and tackle. I had been given some intel from a friend of a friend, but most of my planning came from detailed study of the area on Google Maps satellite view.

Shortly after launching at first light, I caught a small snook and two trout.

2021-04-11-001.jpg

2021-04-11-003.jpg

I relocated on the far side of the lagoon and went looking for reds. It took a while, but eventually I found them. I tossed a weighted, weedless jighead with 4.5" paddletail near a mangrove island in 12" to 18" depth. I was starting to give up hope when a large brownish fish shot across and grabbed the lure. I fought the fish for 20 mins and was dragged 200 yards. This 31" fish is my personal best redfish caught from a kayak.

2021-04-11-006.jpg

2021-04-11-007.jpg

2021-04-11-008.jpg

After reviving and releasing the fish, I paddled back to the area where I had caught the other red. A few casts later, I hooked a 26" red on a white paddletail.

2021-04-11-011.jpg

2021-04-11-012.jpg

I kept fishing the area and managed two more smaller reds. I had a long drive ahead of me so I cut the trip short.

It is very rewarding to fish a new area using things learned from recent homework and also techniques learned at other locations. Today's fishing was similar to many of the trips I did in the Tampa Bay area, and I could use that knowledge today.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Excellent John.

Congrats on the big red.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Great looking red, John! I have a cousin getting married in Florida next winter, and I am looking forward to doing some fishing while I'm down there.
      - Cliff

Hobie Compass
      Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

This morning I caught at least 8 species of fish in Biscayne Bay (near Miami). The most noteworthy one was a 25" bonefish that stripped out a lot of line on its first run and later circled the kayak.

2021-04-11-006.jpg

A few minutes later, it's little cousin showed up.

2021-04-11-008.jpg
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Great job, J! I drove down to Beaufort SC this week for two days of guided fishing. Tides, wind and rain kept us to one day on the water. And, unfortunately very few fish. None worthy of a photo. Enjoy Florida…
          Al

Comment

Really neat looking fish there John!

Comment

Working...
            X