Florida road trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida road trip

I returned home yesterday from a very enjoyable three-week fishing trip in Florida. Photos of just a few of the many fish I caught are shown below.

Here is a statistical summary of the trip:
    • 21 total days
    • 18 days in a row that I fished (mostly from kayaks)
    • 9 charter trips with kayak guides
    • 3,235 miles driven
    • 244 fish caught
    • 35 species of fish caught (fish in 5 species were 30” or above; another 5 species had fish between 21” and 27”)
    • 4 new species caught (barramundi, slippery dick, Sergeant major, Gulf toadfish).

On each day, I kept notes of my fishing activities. After arriving home, I compiled these notes into a single trip report. Although it is 57 pages long, much of that is colorful photos, making it a quick and easy read.

I posted the report on Google Docs. You can go to this link https://drive.google.com/.../1BlcCiWCALFzVrqRGyUJ.../view... and click on the file for the trip report. Then it can be downloaded. If you are uncomfortable about downloading from Google Docs, please write to me at john@veilenvironmental.com and provide your email address. I can send a copy to you that way.
    I hope you enjoy the stories.

Feel free to share this with others who may enjoy the adventure.

2022-11-30-006.jpg

2022-12-01-009.jpg

-6676135036104595450.jpg

2022-12-03-002.jpg

2022-12-05-10.jpg

slippery dick 1.jpg

bonnethead 2.jpg

mayan cichlid.jpg

2021-04-11-003.jpg

Attached Files
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Great report John, I love the detail. Needless to say I am envious of your trip (in a good way)! Sounds like you had an amazing time and congratulations on exceeding your goal of 70 species this year.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Way to go!
      I will say being able to fish 18 days in a row out of 21 days is a blessing in itself. Sounds like everything was in line for a spectacular trip! Beautiful fish also. Other than the bony fish, were you able to taste the others?

Comment

Originally posted by Jigsup View Post
        Way to go!
        I will say being able to fish 18 days in a row out of 21 days is a blessing in itself. Sounds like everything was in line for a spectacular trip! Beautiful fish also. Other than the bony fish, were you able to taste the others?
        I keep very few fish throughout the year. I kept none for the table on this trip. Lots of safe releases. Regarding fishing 18 days in a row, it took some will power to get out there on some of the days when the wind and low water made for a probable slow day. But when I am away from home on a fishing trip, I would rather get beat up in the wind and catch a few fish than sit in the hotel and not fish.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Wonderful trip for you John and very well documented in the report you linked.

I admire your tenacity.

Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Very nice report, J.! Totally impressed and jealous! But it gave me some ideas for my next Southern trip which I’ll discuss with you off-line. Thanks for sharing with everyone—
            Magothyman (Al)

Comment

John,
              Congrats on your latest venture. i know how you enjoy fishing the Florida waters. Hope ‘23 will be as good or better as ‘22!
              John Rentch
              Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
              Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip and thanks for sharing it with us. Congratulations and Merry Christmas to you and family!

Comment

Working...
                X