Beaufort SC Slam May 4/5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beaufort SC Slam May 4/5

I spent May 4 and 5 fishing with guide Houston Stewart in Beaufort SC. This was my fourth trip to that area (it’s near Paris Island) and fourth time using Houston (I became aware of him after watching his YouTube channel on kayak fishing). I trailered my recently purchased Hobie Revolution to Beaufort after stopping for four days of golf in Myrtle Beach. Rather than staying in a chain hotel, I rented a small individual cottage thru VRBO in the historic district that was within walking distance of downtown waterfront area. Houston always likes to fish the outgoing tides. The first day we only landed one flounder (my catch) and three reds ( his catch) using fiddler crabs. I was having rudder problems which left me a little frustrated. Houston is sponsored by Higher Ground Kayak Shop in Beaufort so he had a loaner from them for me to use on the second day while mine was being repaired. The second day we used mud minnows below popping corks after putting in at Broad River Boat Launch. We had an active day and I caught several nice size reds, speckled trout and bluefish. We didn’t pedal over a mile from the launch. After, we went to Sea Seas Honey Hole Bait Shop for a low country boil that the owner put on for customers—great food and interesting people. My yak was ready that evening for a reasonable $40 charge. Several major movies have been filmed in Beaufort—it’s a great place to visit for fishing or family-style vacation. Resized_20230505_121020.jpg Resized_20230505_135849.jpg IMG_3670.jpg 70501415630__8F30BEA6-BD08-4A09-92DF-627E56ED2CFA.jpg IMG_3664.jpg

Thanks for the report.

Interesting that a bait shop feeds customers as well as fish!
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

It sounds like you found a home away from home with that guide. I have enjoyed repeat visits with several Florida guides.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
      X