A Couple Firsts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Couple Firsts

Spent three days kayak fishing with John Veil and guide Alex Tejeda in Key Largo and Biscayne Bay. Sunday (first day) we launched in Key Largo (ocean side). We fished the numerous Mangroves and flats for Bonefish. We were using shrimp on a weighted line. I landed a Bonnethead and Lemon Shark. I was able to get 10 Yellowfin Majorra (similar to our White Perch), and a Mangrove Snapper.
    EC8ECDB6-5068-44FE-AADF-0A13FD4D9B41.jpg
    Monday was we moved to a different launch in Key Largo. It was cut short due to a strong thunderstorm. We tried to make it back to the launch, instead we took shelter in a “L” shaped mangrove patch. It protected us from the wind, but we got soaked from the rain. Once it passed, it was decided to head back because another storm was moving in.
    Tuesday we moved to Key Biscayne. We got on the water about 6:30 (sunup is later than here) to perfect conditions. The beginning of an ebb tide and flat water. From the launch we headed south looking for Permit. Alex (our guide) has a Torquedo on his Jackson kayak, so he towed us about 2-3 miles as we scanned the water form tailing Permit. They sometime just float near the surface looking for crabs and their dorsal fins stick out of the water. Finally spotting a couple we threw a small Blue Crab (abt 2-3”) in front of them. Got a hookup and had a blast the next 8-10 minutes fighting its numerous runs. My first Permit. John got is first as well. We kept moving around looking for more sightings, but the bite stopped.
    173C4B8B-66E3-4824-B916-A652A8411DFB.jpg
    Later in the morning when the ebb was done, we moved to another location waiting for the Bonefish to move in. Using shrimp, we threw it near the edge of the flat near a cut and waited for action. When they hit, the reel starts to hum as the line is pulled out. Like the Permit, they have several runs and turns, sometimes going under the kayak. My first Bonefish
    CCBC4626-CEE4-40D5-A488-FE52F3E4FC94.jpg
    I luckily found two more that day. Around noon the wind was kicking up and we decided to head back to the launch. An epic day for me. My goal at the beginning was to land my first Bone, but to get 3, plus a Permit was tremendous.
    The only downer was I spent 6 hours at the airport due to tornadoes delaying my flight. Didn’t get home until 12:30 Tuesday night.
    Attached Files
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Ah...the airport blues. Again! Isn't flying wonderful?

But at least this time the fishing made the ordeal worthwhile.

Congrats on an excellent trip, John.

Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I fished with John Rentch on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. The fishing was okay on Sunday, lousy and cut short due the the heavy storm on Monday. Fortunately, the quality catches we had on Tuesday made up for the slow start. I have fished many times with guide Alex Tejeda. He has tried hard to find permit that I could catch, but we never had seen any. Conditions on Tuesday morning were ideal for finding tailing permit and sight casting to them. I got my permit first -- a silvery 30" specimen. John caught his a few minutes later. Both of those were exciting and unanticipated catches.

jv-permit.jpg

During the final two hours of the trip, Alex put us in position to target bonefish (bonefish are his passion -- his guide business is called Bone Collector Kayak Fishing). It took a while for the water level to reach the right depth. Then the fun began. John caught several bones. I bungled my first one, but got two more later.

jv bonefish.jpg

To catch two of the most prized Florida gamefish in the same trip was a real thrill. John Rentch returned home on Tuesday evening, but I am staying in Florida for another 1.5 weeks. Yesterday Alex took me back to the same spots where we did so well on Tuesday. What a difference a day makes -- we saw no permit and no bonefish in several hours of searching and trying. I did catch a new species, and one that looks like it should be in a Disney cartoon -- the lookdown.

2021-04-11-001.jpg

Today we did something different. Alex took me to a spot near Islamorada in the Keys. He was confident that the end of the incoming tide would bring some large lemon sharks onto a 3' flat. Shortly after deploying our bait, the rod bent over. Although we were targeting sharks, this time we hooked a 28" barracuda.

2021-04-11-001.jpg

We set the bait out again and had a powerful strike with a nearly 60-second run with line peeling off the reel against drag. The fish ran out over 100 yards from us. The muscle straining fight took 20 minutes, and I finally landed a personal best 7.5' long lemon. After releasing the fish, we set the bait out again. Over the next 45 minutes, I caught two 6' lemons and a 5' lemon. These are hard pulling fish to catch under any circumstance. Doing it from a kayak seat is even more challenging. Sharks of that size are too large to lift out of the water for a glory shot. Alex cut the leader and let the fish swim off. After catching four of those strong fish, I was tired and sore. We left to try for some other species.

I am hoping to catch some tarpon tomorrow to complete my roster of premier Florida game species.
      Last edited by J.A. Veil; 06-15-2023, 04:34 PM.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
      X