Rhode Island in July

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhode Island in July

I was tired of boat traffic, warm water, and lack of fish in the Chesapeake mid-bay area. I’ve been fishing here the last 15 years and it’s gotten so mediocre on most days that I was determined to travel north for a few days of better odds.

I got in touch with Dustin of Rhode Island Kayak Fishing Adventures and over a couple weeks we planned out a half day. We left NOVA at 5:00 on Wednesday, arrived at 2 am and woke up 2 hours later to meet him. Despite significant weather challenges over the trip (but none that morning) we managed to have the best day of fishing we’ve ever had. Between the two of us we had four fish over 40 inches, 2x 39s, a couple 38s, and a couple more in the mid 30s. A 33” blue and an awesome topwater bite. Another spooled me and broke me off in my line backing. Several others popped off but were also huge. Mind you, this is in MID JULY. No need to risk your life in a dry suit pursuing a giant bass. Also got into some great bottom fishing for Black Sea bass, fluke, and scup when the tide slowed.

for those looking for next-level action and the chance for a fish of a lifetime, seek this guy out. I should note we had one of the better days he has had recently. Regardless It’s well worth the cost of the drive, lodging, and his local knowledge. also, he tells me his favorite month is September when the false albacore show up in big numbers. I will absolutely be going back. Just an incredible fishery.

IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg
    IMG_0272.jpg
    IMG_0274.jpg
    IMG_0273.jpg
    IMG_0209.jpg
    IMG_0258.jpg
    IMG_0250.jpg
    IMG_0279.jpg

That sounds like an awesome trip with some great looking fish! Congrats and thanks for sharing! Everywhere you go up in the NE looks so fishy with those rocky shorelines.
    Brian

Comment

Sounds like an incredible trip. Shame the bay is struggling. I'm down here in Charleston SC now after 30 years of fishing the bay area. Constantly trying to dial in this area. Can be tough, especially at high tide. Low tide forces the fish out of the thousands of acres of marsh.
      Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
      Predator 13

Comment

Working...
      X