Buying a power boat from a dealer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a power boat from a dealer

Although I've owned many boats, including a 35' cabin cruiser, this is the first time I've bought a boat from a dealer. And so far, its been a pleasurable experience.

I did my shopping on the Internet and found a boat that met my requirements at a marina on Kent Island.

2000SeaPro190WA-1.jpg

Drove out there to see it. The salesperson showed me where it was and told me she would be inside if I needed anything. That was a bit surprising... no sales pitch. But I chalked it up to the fact that this boat was heavily discounted and maybe she wasn't going to make anything on the deal.

The boat looks clean. Appears to have all the parts. Wiring not corroded. Motor oil looks good. Trailer needs lights but is solid.

2000SeaPro190WA-7.jpg

I went inside to talk to her and she recommended I put a deposit on the boat and get a survey done. But as we continued to talk, I discovered they had already done a survey. Soon I had her printing out the list of recommended repairs they had compiled. So far, so good... I handed over my credit card and put down the deposit.

Considering the going rate for a marine survey is around $15/foot, I would be looking at almost $300 for the survey. $300 survey for a $4000 boat seems high. So I'm thinking I'll just go with what the marina shop reported. But... if I don't hire someone for the survey does that mean I won't get to do the sea trial? It would be nice to see how that motor performs while under load. I am going to have to ask about that.

I'd also like to do a compression test on the engine. So maybe I can stand-in as my own surveyor?
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Talked to a local surveyor on Kent Island yesterday.
    He's willing to do the survey for $10/foot. That's a lot better. Putting it down below $200 makes it much easier to swallow.

The survey begins with an out-of-water inspection going over structural integrity, electrical systems, propulsion system, fuel system, lights, pumps, cosmetic appearance, and overall maintenance. Then he takes it out for the sea trial to test its performance on the water.

The more I think about it, the more important I feel this is... I'm definitely getting the survey done.

Comment

Good luck with it. Think of it as a $4200 boat that you know everything about instead of a $4000 risk.
      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mweber02 View Post
        Good luck with it. Think of it as a $4200 boat that you know everything about instead of a $4000 risk.
        Absolutely.

The bad news is the survey cost $300.

The good news is it passed with flying colors. Only 3 issues found. Horn doesn't work, strbd cabin light out, and the stereo doesn't work. Hull was rated excellent. Engine rated good condition. Ran great. And he valued it at more than twice what I paid for it. So I bought a boat.

Comment

$300 is a good investment to make sure everything works ........ Congrats ....... Boats are a lot of fun ....... Might need a trailer though
          Last edited by Memory Maker; 09-07-2014, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Its all good MM. Came with a decent trailer.
            After I get back from OBX I have to get the trailer inspected and tagged but then I'm good to go.

woo-Hoo!

...now to get out and attempt that surf launch...

Comment

Working...
            X