Triple figures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triple figures

It is not often that I am part of fishing trip during which more than 100 fish get caught. Today was one of those fortunate days. Two other kayak anglers -- On the Fly (Harry) and TXfly16 (Hugo) -- joined me on my center console "Small but Perky" to check out some spots south of the Bay Bridge that have produced well for me recently.

On the way out of Sandy Point, we saw Cowpokey and Snakehead Hunter fishing in the shallows just below the bridge. Snakehead Hunter had fished with me the previous week on the center console and knew where we were headed. We waved goodbye and headed to structure located in deep water. The wind was supposed to be about 6-8 knots from the north at 8:00 am with dropping wind speed during the morning. I felt comfortable launching a 16-ft boat into what I expected would be modest waves. However after traveling south for a few minutes we noticed the seas were building. They were strange waves that often were 3 ft high and did not run in the typical parallel rows. My boat is safe, but we had a bumpy ride.

After reaching our first spot, I felt some relief when Harry caught bluefish on each of his first few casts. Hugo and I soon followed. We made repeated drifts past structure catching more than 70 bluefish in the 12" to 15" range and a few small rockfish. I experimented with different lures to see how well I could catch the blues. I used 4 different metal spoons, including an antique Mepps spoon, to catch blues. I then broke out my box of excess "expendable" soft plastics and proceeded to catch fish on at least 10 different shapes, colors, and sizes of plastics. The other guys used a variety of lures too. After 90 minutes of steady catching we proceeded to another area where I have found hundreds of birds diving on bait over a broad area with about 20 ft depth for the past month. Typically these birds would dive down for 30-60 seconds, then take off to fly to another bait pod. It was challenging to find exactly where the predators were within casting range. We tried a variety of spots and were able to get more than 30 rockfish from 15" to 23.5". I jigged up several of the larger fish using a gold Stingsilver, but most of the fish were caught on soft plastic lures cast out and retrieved horizontally. I caught fish on at least 14 different lures this morning -- the fish were eager feeders.

002.jpg

After 4 hours of fishing and catching, we turned north to return to port. By now the wind had dropped down so our run was considerably less bumpy than it had been throughout the morning. We covered over 18 miles today -- not far for boat fishing, but too much for my old body in a kayak. I intentionally did not identify the exact spots where we fished -- unless you are training for Iron Man events, they are not within realistic kayak access range from any public launches. Plus, the heavy seas we faced this morning would not have been pleasant in a kayak. Hugo told us this was his first fishing trip in the open bay. I tried to explain that a 100-fish day was not the norm, and that he should not expect that every time out. Harry took a lot of photos -- I hope he can add them later.

My next kayak fishing report will be from Tampa -- I have guided trips arranged from Thurs to Sun.
    Last edited by J.A. Veil; 09-23-2014, 03:52 PM.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Glad to hear you got into them today. I had similar results yesterday. Please check you PMs. Thanks!
    2014 Hobie Pro Angler
    2018 Viking Profish 400 Lite

Comment

nice day on the bay!! glad to hear you guys did so well!! almost make ya wanna buy a boat j/k

Comment

That's awesome. I guess I and Cowhokey are just in the wrong place. People at the bridge don't catch much; kayaker & boater as well. I think its time we start heading south!!

Comment

Nice job John! You are such a great host on your boat trips. Looking forward to some photos.

I am curious about vertical jigging spoons, so hopefully can add a few to my collection.

Comment

John,
            Thanks for an outstanding day!!!
            Here are a couple pictures of you and Hugo.
            Attached Files

Comment

Nice report John! Glad you guys were successful. It got pretty bumpy at the bridge after you guys left too, I was almost ready to call it a day because of the waves. I'm still getting used to waves coming over the nose. When the wind died down it was quite nice at the bridge and all around. When we finally made it out to the rock piles it was almost flat, with the tide still going out.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
              X