Cow Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Hunting

Got an invite Monday night to fish with a buddy in the Delaware bay Tuesday. Got up at 3 am, drove to cape may, got $100 worth of bunker, called out sick and got set up on the water by 6:30. The action was sloooooooow. We had 2 runoffs before noon. One just didn't hook up and another mysteriously broke on a hookset right above the hook (probably nicked by a doggy).

We were down to our last bait around 5 pm and I was getting ready to pull anchor when we got another runoff. This one came to the boat and measured 47" and 38 lbs. It was the biggest striper I've ever filleted (release was unsuccessful) and produced some massive fillets. Last night the girlfriend was craving beer battered fish so that's what we did. Tomorrow night its striper chowder and then this weekend I'll be fishing seabass/tog. Hopefully this will be a fish filled winter!

Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Your persistence paid off ""BIG"' way to go!! Good luck this weekend.

Comment

Wow, great catch!
      Mike

Comment

Congratulations on a great catch!

There have been reports that fish that big don't taste as good (not that I would know). How was it?

Comment

That is just an old wive's tale. I will say that eating a 28 inch striper and a 48 inch striper is like eating 2 different species of fish, though. The big fish's flesh is much firmer and honestly tastes just like chicken. Even my girlfriend's 11 year old daughter who HATES fish ate three pieces of the beer battered fish because she thought it tasted like sweet and sour chicken! Its all in how you prepare it, though. I would gladly steam a small, succulent striper with scallions and ginger and enjoy the sweet taste of the meat. The big ones, though, are a little bland which is why I usually opt for frying or chowders.

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Fish sticks for the whole neighborhood! Nice fish! The big gals don't freeze well and if you do freeze make sure to remove all red meat, just a tip
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

First thing I did when I got home was trim the fillets and remove the bloodline. I've never had any problem freezing fish when I use my vacuum sealer but I don't think this one will make it to the freezer. I gave away about 10 steaks and the last of the fish is destined for chowder tonight. The only thing left will be the cheeks for a little snack this weekend (the best part of any fish!!!).

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
                The only thing left will be the cheeks for a little snack this weekend (the best part of any fish!!!).
                x100!
                -Mustafa
                ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                2016 Hobie Outback
                2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
                  The only thing left will be the cheeks for a little snack this weekend (the best part of any fish!!!).
                  The cheeks? Like face cheeks? I never knew there was meat up there.
                  Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mweber02 View Post
                    The cheeks? Like face cheeks? I never knew there was meat up there.
                    Oh man! It's the filet mignon of the fish. In Iraq they call it the "fisherman's morsel." Since he/she caught the fish he gets the best part.

Most of the head meat is delicious! That's why in Polynesian culture the head of the household eats the head.
                    -Mustafa
                    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                    2016 Hobie Outback
                    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

One of my real good fishing friends is Vietnamese and one day he made me some flounder head and I've been hooked ever since. I don't eat the whole heads very often but I carve out the cheeks of every flounder, tog or striper that has enough meat in there to make it worthwhile.

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
                      X