Rudee Angler Deep Drop: 12/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rudee Angler Deep Drop: 12/21

I went out on a private trip the day after the rest of the snagged line gang went. I rolled with my neighbor, and most of the guys on the boat I've fished with before on the Rudee Angler. The scheduled departure time was 3am. All 30 anglers arrived super early, and the boat left at 1:30am. The ride out was 6hrs. Luckily there was enough room for everyone to relax and sleep on the ride out.

First drop was just under 200'. We pulled up decent sea bass. As the bit slowed, we motored to a few different spots. Quite a few wrecks were ON FIRE. HUGE sea bass coming up all around the rail, many two at a time. Having fish still in the freezer from the last time, I only kept fish over about 14". After a nice pick of big sea bass, we eased out further in to the ocean for tile fish. The bite was steady. While I didn't catch any monster tile fish, quite a few citations were pulled over the rail by quite a few anglers.

We got back to the dock around 11:30pm. It was a crazy long trip. The guy who puts these trips togehter knows the captain...we he always gets extra time on the water. That was cool. We fished from about 8am until 5:30pm.

I ended with a cooler full of black sea bass and tile fish. I had at least 6 sea bass over 20". I mistakenly grabbed the wrong fish for the weigh in for citation. The one I had weighed was 4.8lbs...my biggest one was buried under the ice in the cooler. I realized it when I got home to clean the fish. Dah well!

My setup for the deep drop is an Avet MX (50lb braid) and an Okuma Cedros speed jig rod. Amazing combo.

For scale, that knife is 10" long...

<insert witty comment here>

the dog loves sashimi

Comment

Thanks for the report MetroMan, great looking fish! I am currently putting together a set-up for these BSB and tile trips, glad to hear the MX is a winner, I was thinking of going with either a JX, Tekota or Torium. I love my SX but am undecided...
      Hobie Outback - Orange

Where Land Ends...Life Begins

Comment

I used my SX successfully, but the bigger reel makes a big difference.

Comment

Yeah, that's some nice sized bsb. And boy, you guys sure left early on a long trip. What's the deepest you guys fished?

Thanks for the report.
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Beautiful BSB Langston! That trip is truly an experience!
            -Mustafa
            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Thanks

Coastal_dan, I meant to say MXL...thats the reel I have.

Tufnik, The deepest we went was just more than 300'. Nothing too crazy.

Comment

What size lead were you guys using? I'm sure it varies but just curious...
                Hobie Outback - Orange

Where Land Ends...Life Begins

Comment

24oz. Some were able to get away with 16oz, but 24 worked better.

Comment

Hey Langston, did you do anything different that increased the size of your catches? Glow in the dark streamers, beads, or suspend your bait a foot off the bottom or something like that?
                    -Mustafa
                    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                    2016 Hobie Outback
                    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                      Hey Langston, did you do anything different that increased the size of your catches? Glow in the dark streamers, beads, or suspend your bait a foot off the bottom or something like that?
                      Nah...nothing special at all. Some people had various types of rigs with skirts, etc. Didn't seem to really make a difference. Bare hooks & leader material worked just fine. With the possibility of snags or tangles, I prefer to use less so I lose less if a snag or bad tangle occurs.

Comment

Working...
                      X