No announcement yet.

Carp in the Gunpowder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where on the gunpowder did you put in to get on the carp ? Dundee ? (just looking for a launch recommendation)

Also, one thing you might want to try is a "hair" rig. Basically it's a hook with a tail of line coming off the shank. You put your bait (corn, chick peas, boilies, etc. on the hair and then put a small piece of straw or plastic in the end to keep it on there. Nothing goes on the hook. (and...use a tiny hook like #8)

The carp come along and suck in the bait, spit it out and repeat...eventually as they spit it back out, the hook catches their lip and it's game on !

Comment

I launched from Dundee that time. You'll find carp all through Dundee and Saltpeter. The carp will probably be there soon if not now.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

i've only caught one carp. it was my 1st feb fish this year and i caught him on bloodworm. i think it was superbowl morning. and i was actually hoping to get a winter white perch.

when i set the hook, it felt like a good-size rockfish. my 1st impression was disappointment, just hoping he hadn't swallowed the little hook because it was closed season.

i concentrate on keeping some bend in the rod/no slack while reeling a fish and this guy just came straight up. kind of like pulling up a water balloon. it had weight/resistance but zero fight. maybe cuz the water was so cold? i was surprised that he was in an area i thought was too brackish but that's the way it was. live and learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Southerly View Post
          i've only caught one carp. it was my 1st feb fish this year and i caught him on bloodworm. i think it was superbowl morning. and i was actually hoping to get a winter white perch.

when i set the hook, it felt like a good-size rockfish. my 1st impression was disappointment, just hoping he hadn't swallowed the little hook because it was closed season.

i concentrate on keeping some bend in the rod/no slack while reeling a fish and this guy just came straight up. kind of like pulling up a water balloon. it had weight/resistance but zero fight. maybe cuz the water was so cold? i was surprised that he was in an area i thought was too brackish but that's the way it was. live and learn.
          Maybe it was because it was so cold. Every one I've caught has fought like a bull. It's the only reason to fish for them.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

i've actually been researching it a bit and might give it a go in a month or so - chum, the whole thing.

i saw some guys flyfishing for them on tv. not sure what their fly was supposed to imitate but they were having some luck in shallow water. but some of the carp didn't acknowledge the lure in any way whatsoever.

Comment

Use a bead head autumn bugger or backstabber fly for carp. If mulberries in area this spring use mulberry fly.

Where are you guys launching on gunpowder?

Comment

Whoa! Nice carp. Must have been fun.
                Mike S.
                Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Working...
                X