Winter Florida Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Florida Trip

Over the last 10 years or so, the wife and I try to do a winter getaway to Florida, either the Keys or Naples. This year, we went for a full week and split the week across both. I managed to get in two fishing trips, one private charter and one small group party boat. My goal was new species, and I did better than I would have ever imagined!

First trip was out of Islamorada in the keys - ran over to the Everglades and fished live shrimp around a fallen tree in a flat about 3 1/2 feet of water. Nailed redfish and jacks consistently, along with a keeper mangrove snapper. Biggest redfish was about 18 inches.

Keys Redfish.jpg

Keys Jack.jpg

I really wanted to catch a snook this year - technically I did, although it was VERY small. But still a fun fish to target and catch.

Keys Snook.jpg

On the way back in we targeted trout - they were everywhere. They guide told me they love dirty water on windy days. We used a popping cork and gulp shrimp. This one pictured here was the average size caught, the biggest of the day was just shy of 20"

Keys Trout.jpg

The Naples trip was fun - only 6 of us on a boat that would probably have fit 14 or so. I had a local guy, a regular who knows the crew, fishing next to me off the bow. I think the captain sized me up as being a little experienced, so he asked me if I wanted to try a different technique other than bottom fishing. Don't get me wrong, I had fun reeling in vermillion snapper and red groupers. Always willing and eager to learn something new, the captain set me up with a jighead with surgical tubing, and a chunk of fresh cut snapper. The boat was anchored, so the goal was to drop the jighead slowly in the current, to a location in the water column that held better or different fish than we were catching on the bottom. The technique was to pull the line off the spool, not too fast, no tangles, then we you get a hit, close the bail and set the hook. I missed the first one or two with bad timing, but after that we got into some decent sized yellow tails.

Then this happened...

Naples Albie.jpg

Pound for pound, one of the strongest fish I have fought. Captain said it was about 15 pounds, false albacore.

I'll give the charter company a plug since they were so great - it's the second time I have been out with them. They also have two smaller boats for private trips up to 6 people.

Dalis Fishing Charters
    2015 Hobie Revolution 13
    2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

It sounds like a real fun trip. I am having thermal shock being back here in winter weather after two weeks in south Florida during February. Congratulations on catching some new species.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Florida offers terrific species variety and year-round fishing.

It doesn't get much better for kayak anglers.

Looks like you had a great time.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Yes, another that likes what Florida offers during the winter months
        John Rentch
        Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
        Hobie Revolution 11