OC Surf This Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC Surf This Weekend

How many surf fisherman use this forum? I am also a member at stripersonline but was curious if anyone here surf fished.

I am going to ocean city this weekend to try and catch some blues and hopefully a shark or two. Casting plugs, poppers and cut bait.
    Annapolis
    2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
    Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

I've gotten some nice (6' +) sharks from the beach. I take a small kayak with me to paddle the bait out 250 yards or so. I don't think they allow this in Ocean City but you can do it in Assateague. My best luck with the large sharks usually comes later in the summer. Sandtiger.jpg

Comment

Kayaking baits out is indeed illegal now in OC. But you can still shark fish as long as you cast your baits from the beach. If you're super, duper lucky you could even pick up a cobia off the beach soaking bait. The chances are slim, but every year it seems like one or two are caught so you never know.
      Brian

Comment

I used to surf fish quite a bit, but I haven't been as much lately. There should be some blues and sharks around this time of year. Good luck this weekend!
        Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

We are headed down towards the end of August. Please report back with some good fish mojo.
          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

We used to do the yak/shark thing off the beach. Loved seeing peoples faces when you are cranking in large sharks right off the beach.
            Native Slayer 12
            Native Ultimate

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
              We are headed down towards the end of August. Please report back with some good fish mojo.
              Will do. Hopefully.
              Annapolis
              2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110

Comment

Originally posted by gliebig View Post
                We used to do the yak/shark thing off the beach. Loved seeing peoples faces when you are cranking in large sharks right off the beach.
                It’s always funny catching fish in public, size regardless. But obviously a big shark puts on more of a show and a “holy crap I swim there” moment.
                Annapolis
                2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110

Comment

Originally posted by gliebig View Post
                  And unfortunately not everybody can do it with discretion. Hence why it’s now illegal off OC.

A couple years ago, some kayak their bait out shark fisherman decided that because it was legal that it was a good idea to yak big baits out while people and kids were still out swimming. The beach goers confronted the fisherman, the fisherman in return throw it back in the beach goers face and continue on kayaking baits out. Long story short, chit hits the fan, and now it’s illegal.

This isn’t directed at anybody in particular, but PLEASE use discretion when shark fishing off the beach in OC. You’re only hurting yourself and other fisherman when you make a big scene of it.
                  Brian

Comment

OC Surf This Weekend

Figures that it’s something like that causing the laws. I never used a kayak for surf fishing, and clearly I will not now ( in ocean city). For the most part, while reeling fish in in-front of people, the scene creates itself. Regardless of how low key you try to keep it. There is an allure to fishermen catching fish for whatever reason.

I never fish around swimmers for obvious reasons. And I personally would be uncomfortable with hooks in the water around me. My want to fish does not outweigh the safety of others.

That being said, I just read the fishing report from the DNR and it looks like I have a healthy chance of catching some larger bluefish. Chunking mullet and casting spoons is apparently hot.
                    Annapolis
                    2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110

Comment

We did it in DE at night. No swimmers just beach walkers. I'm pretty sure they stayed beach walkers. haha.
                      Native Slayer 12
                      Native Ultimate

Comment

Like I said, I was just putting that out there because common sense isn't always so common and it's been a touchy subject in both OC and DE in the past But please don't let that discourage you from sharking off the beach.

There should be kingfish showing up in the surf too by now if you fish smaller hooks with fishbites, bloodworms, or small strips of meat. Kingfish heads make great shark bait. Keep the bodies for dinner and heave the heads back out for the sharks!

Good luck and enjoy yourself.
                        Brian

Comment

Working...
                        X