Hobie outback- is it worth it and fixable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobie outback- is it worth it and fixable

Hey I just came across an older hobie outback today. I believe the drive is an original v1but I’m not 100 percent sure. The dive appears to work fine and is in decent shape however the post that runs inside the fins on both are bent. The post attaches by a cotter-pin into the drive shaft area. Is this replaceable or reparable. Was this common to get bent over time. They want 600.00 for the kayak. The hull appears to be in good condition for how old it is. I did check the mirage seat area on the kayak and that appears solid and I didn’t notice cracks. The rudder switch cable to lift up the rudder is the only thing on the rudder that is broken and needs a new cable attached if possible. I’m more worried about the drive as if I can replace the fins and the bar that runs in the fins to straighten them back out. Is this a decent deal for 600 or is that drove basically trash and not with it.
    Attached Files

That kayak is probably close to 20 years old! Looks like it is in great condition for the age but definitely a worry about cracking or getting parts. You can probably bend those masts back to straight using a vice or by getting a piece of tube that is just bigger in diameter and longer for leverage. I’m pretty sure the first gen were SS.
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Having pounded a few masts back to straight, and ultimately paying a price of failure because of metal fatigue, I’d look around to see if you can find a V1 mast residing in a warehouse somewhere just waiting to be bought. The V2 masts are around $20 and I got a pair at that price.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

The V1 upgrade at one time was free from Hobie...I would contact a dealer and see if that is still the case
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

If you're still shopping around I have a very similar Outback with operational drive, for slightly more $. Willing to negotiate on the price.
          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Just saw this thread. I've got some OEM V1 masts and other 1st gen parts. If you did end up picking up the boat.
            Tight lines
            Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
            Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
            Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
            Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Working...
            X