Finding structure to fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding structure to fish

The main thing I use my Hook2-7TS unit for is to locate structure...the total scan in conjunction with the mapping chip gives me all the detail anyone needs...almost photo like details of the bottom structure...yeah, sometimes you can actually see lots of fish with it, but the real deal is knowing the structure...when tides are moving water past structure, fish congregate around structure to ambush prey...rocks, old piling, sunken boats, barges, and grass beds all hold fish at times of moving water...so do cuts in the bars across across shallow flats...using modern electronics is just another piece of data in your fishing tool box...it won’t replace time on the water, but it can optimize your time on the water...NOAA charts give the basic data, but they are mostly outdated and not very precise as to the total picture of the shallower bays and launch areas...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 08-08-2019, 10:03 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

I transitioned to tidal kayak angling from freshwater fishing in reservoirs and wading rivers. I learned the importance of structure from those freshwater experiences – which I did without electronics. I learned to look for cues visible to my eye to locate structure under the water. Sometimes it’s obvious -- the slope of a shoreline bank; an exposed boulder above the waterline; a field of pads or spatterdock; an eddy in river; a seam of foam in moving water. Each indicate that something is different under the water in those sites. And those differences attract natural bait which attract the fish I am trying to catch. It’s not rocket science as the saying goes.

The benefit of electronics, I believe, is finding structure not otherwise visible as described above. It’s also great for precisely marking where that structure is so that you can return to it time and time again. Sometimes the slightest hump or depression on the floor of a body of water holds fish due to specific nuances of the tidal flow in that particular spot.

I owned a Lowrance unit for a while as a kayak angler. I found it interesting but frankly more bothersome than useful. Thanks to it, I learned those otherwise invisible structural nuances of my local waters. I can return to them now close enough without electronics to catch a few fish. Would I catch more with the precision of GPS tracking? Absolutely. Would I know when changes in the bottom occur? Of course. But I’ve decided that doesn’t matter to me personally. To me, the other visual cues are so prevalent I can do without the specificity of electronics.

Where I’m disadvantaged without electronics is visiting new water, like I did at the SMOG M&G a few weeks ago. I didn’t know depth. I didn’t know what was under most of the water I crossed. However, upon launching, I saw those beautiful sod banks across the river. I saw downed trees on those shorelines with branches projecting into the water. I saw shady areas when the sun was low. I saw SAV breaking the surface. And as I returned to the ramp, I saw the tide ripping under the bridge. Each of those things were visual indications of structure and waters where fish would be. And I did OK. I caught a fair number of shoreline perch. I missed a few topwater strikes near the sod banks and I caught schoolie stripers in the fast currents near the bridge. Each of those fish resulted from what I saw and what my experience had taught me.

My point is not to denigrate electronics. I’m truly impressed by those who skillfully use that technology. I readily admit it works. But I’d like folks to know, especially those new to the forum and the hobby, that they can catch fish from their kayak without electronics by relying upon indicators that they can see with their eyes.

I believe new kayakers often feel compelled to immediately add electronics to their rigging because they think they think they’re absolutely critical for success. And then they cope with cost and installation issues that go with that thought. Before succumbing to such expense and effort, I recommend that they first learn to rely on what the water is telling them for free. Those signs are easily learned, mastered and transferrable from site to site. Then if they decide electronics are needed, the technology will truly make them better kayak anglers as Ron and others here clearly show. But without an understanding of structure, and how to fish it, electronics are merely a costly adornment to their hulls.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Ron,
      When looking for structure, what setting are you using- sonor, side screen, or the third option?
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Finding structure to fish

I have set up a custom split screen with the chart and downscan sonar sharing the top half and sidescan sonar taking up the bottom half...Using this screen gives me the most information. With both downscan and side scan sonars operating simultaneously you get a detailed picture of the bottom while the charting shows less detail but a precise track. Sidescan is the bomb in shallow water...it gives you a wide coverage and shows dimples and small holes that you would not know otherwise. And these small features hold fish. Especially redfish and Speckled Trout. It shows the holes in grassbeds where bare sand allows you to fish in the thickest of grass beds. A school of CNRs shows even the wings flapping...amazing detail...

.IMG_0719.jpg
        Last edited by ronaultmtd; 08-20-2019, 07:07 AM.
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
        X