Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the most important. The reel, the rod or a compromise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the most important. The reel, the rod or a compromise?

For years we bought "combos"...buy a good reel, get a free rod...but most who go all in our sport learn that the one component that does most of the work- the rod is as important if not more important than the reel...the factors that go into choosing inshore, kayak fishing tackle hinge upon what you are fishing for, how you plan to fish- bait fishing or use of artificial lures and finally the line and lures...all affect the choice of your "perfect rod" for your fishing. I use a 7' medium light extra fast action high modulus graphite Duckett inshore rod rated for lures in the 1/2 oz range and lines up to 17 pound test for casting 1/8- 3/8 oz. jighead rigged ZMan 4 inch minnow z swimbaits for striped bass, redfish and speckled trout using 10# test braid on a Stradic 2500 FL reel...for tossing a She Dog topwater lure- i have a slightly different outfit (I carry four rods rigged for different purposes) it is the same Stradic reel only using 15# braid and a 7' Teramar SE Inshore medium action rod...for tossing big nose spinner baits for white perch I use a Cabela's Fish Eagle 7' ultra light rod and a Diawa 1000 Exeler LT with 6# Trielene XT mono...and invariable I get a 20 inch striper or two hooked up on it...I hate that you practically kill the fish by fully exhausting it in a long, drug out fight on ultra-light tackle, but if you carefully revive it boatside most can be saved...the takeaway from this article is balance...you have to balance your rod, reel, line and your lures...it is a holistic approach...with the invention of high tech braided superlines, the tendency is to go big- 30-50# test lines on reels that would normally be filled with 10-15# test monofilament line. I don't do that. My reels have line test weights running from 6# test to 30# test on my revolving spool low profile casting reels I catfish with. All my spinning reels have full spools of light line- you get much more distance casting lighter lines...throwing a 1/8 or a 1/4 oz jig swimbait across to a flat you want to avoid spooking the fish in the very shallow water so you keep the kayak as far away from the quarry as you can...my 10# test braid casts several feet farther than my 15# test braid does...and the landing of a 19 inch redfish sometimes is because you did not spook it by being 10 feet closer...our fishing can boil down to the game of inches much less feet...every edge you can get counts...some people call it being lucky...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 05-15-2021, 02:46 PM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Balancing your gear is key. That's true for light tackle anglers and for fly anglers too. I suppose it's true for offshore fishing, indeed all fishing.

Casting is so much easier when the rod, reel, line and let's not forget, the lure, are sized appropriately. And the extra casting distance offered by thin braided line is incredible. I was a slow convert to braided line. I'm a firm believer in it now due to its extra sensitivity and the long casts it offers.

But casting distance is not always a factor in fishing. I believe it's important in open tidal waters when you're trying to cover a lot of territory or sight-casting to a distant target. In smaller waters, accuracy trumps distance, especially in a kayak which allows you to stealthily approach fish. And there again, a balanced outfit is critical in making your best lure presentations.

I really enjoy target casting. Dropping a lure tight to a downed tree branch, or curving a fly line around a piling so that the fly lands in the shade under a dock is as much fun to me as hooking up. I can't do either if my fishing equipment is not in top shape and appropriately matched.

I'm sure non-anglers may look at the collections of rods on racks in our garages and basements and wonder why in the world we need so many fishing rods. (In my case they don't even see the dozen or so fly rod tubes stashed away.) Each rod and reel is a tool designed for a purpose. Just like I don't pound nails with the handle of a screwdriver, I'm not going to fish for stripers with an ultralight spinning rod or a 5 wt. fly rod. I'm going to use the right tool.

So, I would not identify any one component of fishing gear as more important than the other. They must all work together cohesively, efficiently and correctly sized for the species you're targeting.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

When it comes to fishing tackle, the rod is the most important component and should be carefully selected based on your budget and type of fishing. The rod is responsible for casting, lure action, and fighting the fish.

Comment

While I would love to run "Expensive" setups, I don't.
        Issue is I keep at least 8-10 setups ready and in running condition. 4 spinning for small mouth fishing on mountain river trips these are all 6' light rods with 25- series president reels, and a 5' UL with a 20 series.
        For Tidal I keep 3 or 4, 6'-6" ML rods with 30 series president reels
        Then add 2 bait casters on medium rods for Snakehead.

The river trips are HARD on rods and reels,
        The tidal I have lost set ups too.

So I exclusivly run "Ugly Stix" and pflueger president reels,, and Suffix 832 braid,, it keeps each set up around $100
        Captian of the plastic Navy
        1 - Mad River Canoes
        1- Tarpon 120
        1- Redfish 10
        1- Coosa HD
        2- Cuda 12
        1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Conclusion. If you are using a reel that's more expensive than your rod, you may be missing out on fish and wasting a ton of money. Web design company Uae and Your spinning rod is doing all of the work so give it the respect it deserves!

Comment

The importance of the reel versus the rod in fishing can depend on the specific type of fishing you are doing and personal preferences. Both the reel and the rod play crucial roles in the overall performance and success of your fishing experience.
            1. Reel:
              • The reel is essential for managing and controlling the fishing line. Different types of reels (spinning, baitcasting, etc.) are suited for different fishing styles.
              • Reels with various features like drag systems, gear ratios, and line capacity can affect your ability to handle different fish species and fishing conditions.
              • If you are targeting larger fish that make powerful runs, a quality reel with a smooth and strong drag system becomes crucial.
            2. Rod:
              • The rod provides the action and power needed to cast your line, set the hook, and fight the fish. Different rods are designed for different fishing techniques and species.
              • Factors like rod length, power, and action influence casting distance, accuracy, and the ability to handle different types of fishing lures Uae and baits.
              • Matching the rod to the type of fishing you do (e.g., freshwater, saltwater, bass fishing, trolling) is important for optimal performance.

Comment

Working...
            X