Salt water reels vs. "smoothness"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salt water reels vs. "smoothness"

I love a smooth, easy cranking reel...but I also want a reel that is protected against salt water intrusion...adding rubber seals, gaskets, and "o" rings adds resistance to the reel and greatly raises the costs...high dollar, fully-sealed reels feel stiff to me...so where can you compromise and still have a long lasting reel fishing in salt water? That is the $64 question!

If you don't dunk your reels underwater, throughly wipe them down with cloth sprayed with "break free" or WD-40, lube them on occasions- your reels should last many years of trouble free use if they are of decent quality...surf fishermen need fully sealed reels...end of story...Kayak fishermen, not so much...one fallacy I have learned the hard way is washing the rods and reels in fresh water after fishing trips- I use to...not any more! Had to rebuild my reels because of the fresh water wash downs forcing water under pressure-into the internal areas of the reels...the salt and sand dust grind into the bearings...unless you have fully sealed reels, I would strongly advise not to spray your tackle with the hose! Wipe them down with a silicon impregnated soft cloth or microfiber towel...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
    ...one fallacy I have learned the hard way is washing the rods and reels in fresh water after fishing trips- I use to...not any more! Had to rebuild my reels because of the fresh water wash downs forcing water under pressure-into the internal areas of the reels...the salt and sand dust grind into the bearings...unless you have fully sealed reels, I would strongly advise not to spray your tackle with the hose! Wipe them down with a silicon impregnated soft cloth or microfiber towel...
    I'd suspect it's not the freshwater that's the problem, but the water being under too much pressure when you rinse the reels that is your issue. Using a hose with the nozzle removed, and the valve only opened ever so slightly that it's just a trickle of water coming out the end of the hose should safe enough to remove salt deposits from the reel, but not force water into it. It's good practice to rinse reels while holding them horizontally too so water is less likely to force into the housing.
    Brian

Comment

Agree, Brian. Been doing it for years...even on freshwater baitcasters used to fish saltwater (OC, VB, CHSP,...). No problem.
      Last edited by FishnFun; 07-18-2021, 07:56 PM.

Comment

I think if the hose nozzle is on a spray setting you'll have no issue with excessive pressure. I've been doing that for years.

I then do something else that I was once taken to task for on this forum. I blow the water off of the reels with an air compressor. The concern of the poster was that I would be forcing dirt into the reel with compressed air. But again, that has not happened. I do this for conventional and fly reels. I do it with my Mirage Drive too.

I've had some relatively inexpensive Pflueger President reels in service over 7 years. I keep them and my Mirage Drive well lubricated and clean.

The Bay's water is much saltier where Ron is than here in the Baltimore/Annapolis region. Salt is not really the issue for those us fishing in this area. However, silt and general grime can be a problem.

Cleaning your gear, however you do it, is wise. If you're doing it wrong, you'll find out soon enough.
        Last edited by Mark; 07-16-2021, 07:18 AM.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
        X