Best February Fish Ever!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice fish!

My buddy has been catching them up here in PA - Blue Marsh Lake.
    Chip

Morgantown, PA / Tilghman, MD

Tarpon 120
    Parker 2320

Comment

Cool catch. Congratz on the citation. I have had those on my to catch list for years.

How did it eat? Was it close to a striper or did it taste like white perch?

Comment

Taste like Striper, but in my opinion white perch just taste like small Striper...
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

What a pig of a "wiper" good work man!.. I caught a diamond jim Wiper after the contest was over this year at PLO.

Meadeo

Added a picture of the Diamond Jim Wiper with some other fish caught that morning. Was only 20"..
          Last edited by Meadeo; 02-07-2012, 04:50 PM.
          2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
            That is a pig! I didn't know they had hybrids around here, cool!

Tuff, hybrid = striped bass mixed with white bass. They are sterile and do not grow as large. They can also tolerate temperature changes better than landlocked rock (I think I read that was one of the reasons they were popular in southern states) and they have a few other advantages I believe.
            I know that they are stocked in the largest lake in Arkansas- Lake Ouchita- and they grow fast and big- same story with the land-locked stripers that are eating the jumbo gizzard shads that 10 pound largemouths cannot swallow- and they are tasty in the pan, too-
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by Meadeo View Post
              What a pig of a "wiper" good work man!.. I caught a diamond jim Wiper after the contest was over this year at PLO.

Meadeo

Added a picture of the Diamond Jim Wiper with some other fish caught that morning. Was only 20"..
              That doesnt look like a hybrid to me as it has the same body shape as the regular Striper and same mouth. I think its just a Regular Striper with messed up lines...
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Out of the hundreds of strippers we caught at PLO last year that was the only one with lines broken like that. But you are right the shape is right for a Chesapeake Strand striped bass.

Meadeo
                2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Working...
                X