Year-End Summary and Holiday Wishes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Year-End Summary and Holiday Wishes

Hanukkah ended a week ago, Christmas lies just three days from now and the New Year is coming.

During past Holiday Seasons, Snaggedliners would often post year-end summaries of their individual fishing accomplishments. I haven’t seen any so I will start a thread. But I wonder who’s watching anymore. Traffic has slowed greatly on this site.

I confess to my guilt in that area. I have not posted as frequently as I used to. One reason is because I feel like a bit of an outlier here. I still fish frequently in my kayak but mostly I use a flyrod. There is little interest in that kind of fishing on Snaggedline.

Stripers receive the most interest here. And they should, given their historical, symbolic and economic importance to Maryland. I didn’t troll for stripers or even chase them on the fly this year. I used to target them aggressively when I started kayak fishing 12 years ago. Indeed, it was fun. The stripers were abundant then. They were almost too easy to catch by trolling or by casting lures and flies. But this year, I did not fish for them at all.

However, I still fished in my kayak each month of 2023. And once again I met my goal of catching fish in my kayak locally in each of those months. As usual, I started the year fishing for chain pickerel in our tidal creeks and Eastern Shore ponds. That is how I have ended it. Thank goodness for chain picks. They remain plentiful and they absolutely love to chase flies in cold water.

In spring and summer, I moved to panfish in ponds and white perch in our tidal creeks. The panfish, especially the bluegills, shellcrackers and crappies were great fun. I enjoy nothing more than a warm spring evening on the quiet waters of a pond casting flies to panfish. I don’t keep detailed fishing records but I have no doubt that my catch numbers reached hundreds of panfish this year. Often, I would stay on the water until dark. There’s a magical time just as the sun dips below the horizon when almost every cast yields a fish.

That was not the case for white perch. I found them more difficult to locate and when I did, I never got into large schools like I had in the past. Their numbers were clearly down from previous years. Maryland counts white perch in its annual Young of the Year (YOY) survey. Sadly, the metrics show that white perch YOY numbers in recent years have been heading in the same direction as striper YOY numbers. On the other hand, I caught more yellow perch in the Magothy this summer and fall than I have in any prior year. Their numbers were good. They attack minnow imitation flies just like white perch.

I also enjoyed fishing outside of my kayak. I waded the upper reaches of the of the Patapsco for redbreast sunfish, rock bass and smallmouth bass. The fish are small but they are numerous. The location is nearby and scenic which makes it an attractive spur of the moment outing with a 4-weight fly rod.

I did some shoreline carp fishing again this year with bait. It’s a significant change of pace for me to sit and wait for a fish to bite a baited hook. Relaxing actually. But those carp pull as hard as any fish I have ever caught. They can wear you out. It’s good to have a chair to sit in between bites.

Also, I had three nice trips to VA – one was a canoe float trip with my son on the Shenandoah. The water was low. We dragged that canoe over rocks as much as we paddled. But we each caught dozens of sunnies and smallmouth bass on topwater flies and streamers. Another VA outing was a wading trip to Cedar Creek for stocked rainbows. Some say stocked trout are easy to catch but I struggled to land a few by nymphing. I am not a good trout angler. On my final trip to VA, I visited the Dragon Run Swamp of the Piankatank River and caught a dozen bowfins on conventional gear with plastic worms. Bowfins are a prehistoric-looking fish. They have bony mouths that are hard to hook. But when you succeed in setting the hook, they put up a crazy fight.

Notably absent from my catches this year was a snakehead. It’s not unusual to encounter them locally in our creeks here in the mid-Bay area now while pickerel or perch fishing. But I caught none this year. I hooked one in on a guided bass trip in Mattawoman but lost it in the weeds after a tug of war for several minutes. I never saw the fish but it straightened the hook on the popper I was using.

I made two trips in the spring to FL, one to the Keys and one to the Everglades. In the Keys I got skunked in two days on the water. But it was fun casting flies to swirling baby tarpon and to cruising nurse sharks. I could not place the flies any better. The fish were just not in an eating mood which confirmed my belief that the fish themselves are always the key to our success as anglers. We’d like to believe it’s us, but it’s not.

On my next FL trip, I had excellent success over two days in the Everglades catching a variety of invasive cichlids, largemouth bass and my first peacock bass on flies. I even caught a gar on a topwater fly. That was a wonderful trip with incredible scenery in addition to active fish. Seeing large alligators in their natural setting was enjoyable. I’m very glad I was in a boat, not a kayak!

So, that is my 2023 summary. I look forward to reading summaries of other Snaggedliners. In particular, did you notice any trends in your tidal catches locally this year that differed from past years?

In closing I wish everyone an enjoyable Holiday Season, a Happy New Year and tight lines in 2024.

Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Thanks for sharing Mark. Like you, I fished every month of 2023 and caught fish every month. Surprisingly, the month with the fewest fishing trips for me was November with just 4 trips. The end of daylight saving time and other obligations kept me off the water.

My year started out targeting crappie in freshwater ponds and lakes in January. My first fish of the year was a 3lb largemouth on a crappie jig on January 1st. Once February rolled around I set my sights on targeting trophy-sized stripers and was successful in catching ten stripers over 40 inches in the months February and March, with the largest being 47", and many smaller ones. Striper season closed in April and I shifted my focus to largemouth bass and snakehead and I was successful on both fronts. I made a couple half-hearted attempts to catch shad in April and I found no success there... maybe next year. I had a lot of fun in May when schoolie stripers filled the shallows, but not where I found them last year. I got to share some fast and furious striper action with my dad which was great. I continued fishing for stripers and the occasional red or speck through June until the season closed again in July. I spent most of July targeting cutlassfish in southern Maryland. These alien-looking fish are tricky to catch but once you get the bite dialed in they are a blast. August had me back on the inshore staples - stripers, reds, and specks. I spent more time in SOMD this month than other times in the year. One unique change of pace was a trip to the upper Potomac in August, I landed a 19" smallmouth - a new PB for me by far - and hooked into a muskie that cut my line. September and October were filled with more striper/speck/red trips. In late October I spent 5 days fishing the lower eastern shore of Virginia and caught a great variety of species including several PBs - upper slot sized reds, tons of specks, many keeper flounder, sheepshead, black sea bass, and more. As I previously mentioned I barely fished in November but found some quality stripers, though their numbers were dwindling in my usual kayak fishing grounds. I suspected they were making the move to deeper water for the winter and shifted my focus onto tidal pickerel for the month of December. The tidal pickerel have been finicky and hard to come by, but I haven't been skunked on them yet.

I noticed a few trends throughout the year. First, by my own experience and all the reports I heard, the striper fishing in the early spring was lights out - I hope that repeats itself in 2024. Next, the white perch fishing was very poor for me as well. I mixed in several perch trips throughout the warm months, especially when striper season was closed. My perch catch numbers were usually low, sometimes I didn't catch any. They have been hard to come by for me the past several seasons and it's a little worrying. The last trend I noticed was an influx of puppy drum to the mid-bay area. It seemed everywhere I went I wound up catching at least 1 small puppy-sized redfish. Ironically I'd catch most of these while trying to catch perch on beetle spins.

So far I have fished on 105 days of 2023 and I'm not done yet - I suspect I'll get another 2 or 3 trips in before 2024. In total I have landed 1,454 fish so far this year, including 29 different species, 5 new species, and 6 PBs. I think 2023 has been my most successful fishing year to date - I can only hope 2024 is as good.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Dave,

That's an excellent summary of an incredibly impressive fishing year for you.

You mentioned shad and it reminded me that I forgot to include my experience with them in April. A very generous friend and fellow Free State Fly Fishers member took me on two outings for hickory shad in a Susquehanna creek in April. I had never caught a shad before.

I tied some colorful size 6 flies. I found this pattern online that mimicked a traditional shad dart:

Shad darts (2).jpg

The other was a simple beadhead crystal bugger:

IMG_6598.jpg

Both patterns worked very well.

P1060871.jpg

In fact, I used them later in the spring for bluegills and crappies and an occasional bass and pickerel.

My friend and I combined for over 100 shad on our first visit, and about 50 on our second visit. The spawning run had obviously declined on our return. We waded on each visit.

The interesting thing to me was that they were heading in both directions on the creek. Some were coming up the creek and some were departing. I've read that that the actual spawning takes place at night.

There was nothing tricky about catching them. I just let the fly swing in the current. Many bites came at the end of the swing as fly started to rise in the water column.

The Hickories put up a good fight and often went airborne after being hooked. I'm sure that that their larger American Shad cousins fight even harder.

I can't believe that I neglected to include shad in my summary. But that's what I get for not keeping a journal. I don't know how many actual days I fished fished this year nor how many fish precisely that I caught. But I do know that I enjoyed each outing and each tug on my line. I take photos on most but not all outings and use them to jog my memory instead of keeping detailed stats.

There is a good book on shad called The Founding Fish by John McPhee. He covers the importance of American and Hickory shad as food to colonial America and he goes into depth about their physiology, lifecycle and migrations on the East Coast from Florida to Canada. He devotes many pages to fishing for them in the Susquehanna.

My experience with white perch paralleled yours. Let's hope they bounce back.

I did not catch any reds this year locally or on my trips south. However, I did catch a small one in the South River a few years ago on a perch spinner like you mentioned. I wouldn't mind catching more here in the mid-Bay area.

Thanks for your summary.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Comment

My ongoing health issues severely curtailed my fishing activities this past year. I think I got out a total of 6 times.

However, I have thrived on reading the accounts of others on the website, so keep the reports coming.

That being said: Merry Fishmas, y'all! 6c3b2f5a4300a7ee80fe4b2167fc680a.jpg

Comment

Here is a summary of my 2023 fishing year in numbers.
          • 201 days fished (on 183 of them I fished from a kayak, primarily my 2014 11’ Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11 paddle kayak)
          • 1,918 total fish caught
          • 73 different species caught
          • 9 new species caught. These include: bandtail pufferfish, cubera snapper, dog snapper, goliath grouper, lookdown, permit, tripletail, trunkfish, and yellow jack.
          • Personal best fish for 12 species that I had previously caught. These include Atlantic cutlassfish (31”), Florida gar (24”), gag grouper (25”), ladyfish (27”), largemouth bass (19”), lemon shark (90”), mojarra (14”), needlefish (20”), redfish (45”), southern stingray (20”), speckled trout (26”), and striped bass (45”). Of these, most notable are the new PBs for three of our key regional gamefish (striper, redfish, and speck).
          Despite those positive statistics, I and other anglers noticed a significant decline in the numbers of stripers and white perch caught in 2023 compared to 2021 and 2022 (when I started keeping detailed catch numbers). To a lesser extent, the pickerel numbers were down too. The table and graph below show the significant decline in my 2023 catch of these three species. Collectively, the declines in those three species make up nearly all of differential in total fish caught, since the total of species other than those three remains about the same as last year.
          # Fish Caught 2021 2022 2023
          Striped bass 920 1,010 545
          White perch 1,027 865 353
          Chain pickerel 341 154 95
          All other species 440 678 697
          Total 2,728 2,707 1,690

three year catches.jpg

I am fortunate to have the time, health/energy, financial resources, and an understanding wife such that I can fish frequently locally and can take off on several extended fishing road trips each year.

I fish often on my own, but really appreciate the knowledge and hard work put in by the guides I use (Pete Dahlberg in Maryland, Alex Tejeda in south Florida, and Randy Morrow in the Keys). My catch results are definitely better as a result of fishing with them on multiple days.

I prepared a detailed annual fishing summary report with 100 photos of all the different species I caught during the year. If anyone is interested, you can download the report from my Google Drive at https://drive.google.com/.../1ULQE4hsgeF0kXk0TQ8x.../view...
          Last edited by J.A. Veil; 12-27-2023, 09:54 AM.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Stu -- I wish you better health in the coming year.

John -- Your stats show local tidal trends which are troubling. I admire your tenacity on the water and with spreadsheets. But I cannot replicate either.

Thanks to each of you for replying.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Folks

It's great that anglers post on these forums. If they don't, the forums die. Looks like some impressive fishing was had. It's important to hear about that since all other news particularly regarding striped bass and the Chesapeake is a tale of woe. It's also nice to see that there are anglers, for whom fishing is more than a hobby, It's a passion for the sport and the fish that swim.

All The Best for 2024
              Tight Lines.

Comment

Thanks for responding to Marks post guys! I posted some on here this year, but I failed to get the kayak out on the water in 2023 in MD. I made a few kayak fishing trips in the OBX canals on the sound side and caught a few bass, but nothing remarkable. I did install a trailer hitch on my mini-van, so now I can easily tow my trailer to haul my kayak for fishing trips again.

My MD fishing in 2023 focused on the Tenkara fly rod and I was mostly wading small streams and storm water management ponds. I did make one wet wade trip to the Upper Potomac river and had a fun time. I lost the only smallie I had on the line, but caught several healthy sunfish. I'll be back on the Potomac in 2024 and hopefully with the kayak.

Tenkara fishing wasn't amazing for me, but it is my preferred style of fishing now. I don't really care how big the fish are, I just want to catch fish. I get a kick out of fishing unnamed streams or ponds and fishing in places that nobody else fishes. I was pleasantly surprised to catch 2 largemouth bass from a stormwater management pond which I had only previously caught green sunfish in. So that was cool. I fished a few new streams with not great success. One new stream was frustrating because I had been fishing for a while and not catching fish, only to realize that I broke the hook point off when the fly got snagged on a branch early in the trip.

I think my largest fish was a 16 inch largemouth bass caught from a pond on the Tenkara rod. It really gets my heart pumping when anything large is on the end of that rod. It's really pretty amazing that the rod handles fish that size just fine. As far as species go, in 2023 I caught green sunfish, red breasted sunfish, bluegill, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, crappie, and fallfish. I don't think I caught any white perch or yellow perch in 2023.

I did make a shad trip in 2023 with the location suggested from a member on here. The trip was unsuccessful, but it was fun fishing at a new location. The sad were clearly someplace else by that point in the spring though. haha.

So in 2024, I'll post reports here. I'll continue to focus on the Tenkara rod and my main objective is to make 6-8 trips to the Upper Potomac and catch some smallies. For quick trips I'll continue to hit the small streams and ponds near my home.

Best wishes everyone, especially any of you guys having some health problems.

Tom

Comment

Tom,

Thanks for posting.

I too enjoy catching small fish -- tricking them with fur and feathers.

You should also consider the upper Patapsco for your Tenkara fishing.

It's nearby, wadable and scenic:

unnamed (3).jpg

And filled with aggressive redbreast sunnies:

IMG_5373.jpg

On one occasion this year, I caught over a dozen from one hole without moving my feet.

Plus, I have caught smallmouths in these waters up to 11 inches. And occasionally in late summer holdover rainbows are biting.

Good news on your trailer and kayak. Stay in touch and next spring I will show you a pond where 9-inch bluegills and even larger shellcrackers will put a big bend in your Tenkara.

Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

Will do Mark! I looked back at my reports on here for 2023 and I documented more trips than I thought I did. I have several spots on the Patapsco that I wet wade regularly in my rotation, but I'm pretty sure I'm way up stream of where you go. Yes, we need to coordinate some trips together in 2024. It has been too long. I also need you and Chip to demonstrate how to catch carp. haha

Comment

Working...
                    X