Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cedar Point Sat/Sun 7/8 May

Cedar Point, near Lexington Park, MD.

Heard reports of rockfish and some blues, so I tried Sat evening/night and Sun morning. Very nice fishing days - blue sky, light breeze, calm water and clear.

Used frozen spot from The Tackle Box. Tried but failed to find and hook up spot.

Caught and released 7 rays. Wanted my rigs back so I pulled all except one to shore. One ray had a eel-like lamprey on its back. When I pulled the ray on shore, the lamprey released and swam off. (Check out the sucker mark in the pic)

No fish, but it was fun.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 06-08-2014, 12:50 PM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Wow that's a lot of rays, you must be worn out! That's quite the hickey that lamprey left.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
      Wow that's a lot of rays, you must be worn out! That's quite the hickey that lamprey left.
      You know it. I pulled in three rays within one hour.

Comment

It's tough to tell from the pictures, how big are they? I've never seen one, let alone caught one.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
          It's tough to tell from the pictures, how big are they? I've never seen one, let alone caught one.
          In the pic, my boot is 12 inches. So, that ray is >30" tip to tip, and that was not among the larger ones caught.

Comment

thanks for the pics. yesterday, i saw a ray breach the water in eastern bay. it didnt get high, but it went at least 6" of the water for a good 15 feet, with a couple touch and goes. never seen that happen before, wonder if it was being chased by something or just flirting
            sigpic

Comment

Wow anybody tried eating CNR?

Sent from the water.
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Never actually seen one "fly." Seen a video though, and they look pretty cool shooting out the water.

Never tried it. I heard differing opinions on it as table fare, mostly good though. I know there are many efforts in the area to have it on the table. Several restaurants have introduced in on their menu. It'll probably pick up momentum. One of these days I'll try it.

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                  Never actually seen one "fly." Seen a video though, and they look pretty cool shooting out the water.

Never tried it. I heard differing opinions on it as table fare, mostly good though. I know there are many efforts in the area to have it on the table. Several restaurants have introduced in on their menu. It'll probably pick up momentum. One of these days I'll try it.
                  I have a friend that used to own a seafood mart / restaurant. His mom can cook anything and make it taste good. Although not tasting bad, but I heard the flesh is REALLY chewy and tough. Skate on the other hand supposedly are much much better table fare then CNR.
                  The best time spent is time that doesn't feel like it was spent at all. When it's worth it you'll give everything to do it all over again no matter what the cost.

Comment

Very cool Tufnik. What is that metal rod with the circles you are using? Is that to maneuver the CNR?

Sent using Tapatalk
                    -Mustafa
                    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                    2016 Hobie Outback
                    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post

Sent from the water.
                      I tried one when I first moved down here. Not much meat on them for the size or maybe I just didn't know how to fillet them properly ??? The meat was definitely firm and pretty mild from what I remember. Maybe its time to try another one

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post

Sent from the water.
                        I've seen peeps cut the wings off for food and chuck the rest of the ray back in the water.
                        They're all over the place right now. Had one on Saturday circling me trying to get a bloodworm dangling from my rod as I put another one on the second hook.
                        2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                        Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Ok, you guys motivated me even more. I'm going to cut the wings off the next ray I catch and take it home.

Abu,
                          That is my aluminum sand spike for holding rods. I placed it next to the ray for size comparison. It's about 30" long. I also used it as leverage to flip the ray over.

Comment

Sorry you did not catch any of your target species. I caught cow nosed rays on Sunday at Pt Lookout from the kayak and on Monday on the islands on the lower eastern shore (Walleye Pete trip). They give you an initial sense of excitement, thinking you hooked a large striper or redfish. That initial runoff of line wakes you up quickly.

Some other skate or ray species are served in restaurants in France, among other places. However, the general consensus about our local species is that is not particularly good table fare.
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis
                            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                            X