Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery advice from my friends here?

Hey guys and gals,
    I'm desperately looking for any kind of advice from experience that this community may have. I'm hoping someone out there's gone through this.
    My wife was diagnosed with a radial nerve entrapment, which runs down the arm, across the elbow and down the forearm. She's an art teacher so use of her hands is important, which is limited by this nerve issue. It causes her pain and weakness. It occurred after using one of those industrial staple guns to hang an entire school's worth of artwork...hundreds of pieces. It's primarilly in her dominant hand, but she has it to a lesser degree in her non dominant hand.

After 3 years of her being in pain, going through rehab and using nerve medication to manage the pain we've finally come to the conclusion that surgery is the only way to fix it. Of course, the doctors give no guarantees but there are risks. The surgery involves a 6" incision down from the forearm to just above the elbow where an additional incision in the muscles will free up space for the nerve. It will involve a couple of months in rehab. I fear going in there and making it worse, especially because we're dealing with nerves.

Has anyone any experience with this kind of surgery and if so, how did it work out for you? Was it worth it?
    Thanks, much appreciated because this is an extremely stressful decision. You can only get so much info from the doctors. I want to find somone who's had it done if possible.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Alan,

Johns Hopkins Hospital was recently rated the number one hospital in the country by U.S. News and World Report.

Its neurosurgery department was also top ranked in the country by that publication.

I am not familiar with your wife's problem but if I was you I would get an opinion from the professionals at Hopkins.

My wife and I have both benefitted from neurosurgery there for distinct and relatively rare neurological conditions.

People come from all over the world to seek treatment at Johns Hopkins. Those of us who live here are fortunate to have that medical resource so close.

Good luck to you and your wife.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

It's best to discuss your concerns directly with your physician. Ask them exactly how the surgery will be performed and what complications could arise. If you're not satisfied seek a second opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by RxForFishin View Post
        It's best to discuss your concerns directly with your physician. Ask them exactly how the surgery will be performed and what complications could arise. If you're not satisfied seek a second opinion.
        Over 3 years, she's seen her primary care doc, a rheumatologist, had an mri of her neck, saw a neurologist at Hopkins, the head of hand surgery at Hopkins, Dr. Kim about 6 times, did occupational therapy, did a nerve conduction study, tried acupuncture and probably other stuff. We've done a ton of research which yielded no clear answers. We feel like we've tried what we can do.

All the answers are just kinda wishy washy, making it very difficult to make a well informed decision. "It may or may not be the problem" is a hard piece of information to assess when using it to decide potentially life altering stuff. I just hate to have her go under the knife, adding one more thing to the list of stuff we tried. It's amazing what you take for granted when everything works just fine, eh?

Thanks for the comments :-)

Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Alan,

Your story is typical for many with neurological conditions.

I wish you the best.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

My neighbor had a nerve problem in her hand/fingers/arm, but the surgery was done near her neck to aleviate the problem. She insisted on using Johns Hopkins Hospital, even though it was over 50 miles from her house, because of it's reputation, as Mark stated.
            Good luck!
            Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
            Cobra Explorer

Comment

Hey Alan,

I don't have any advice on this matter bro, but I do have a lot of prayers going both your ways! God willing all will go smoothly and she will get the relief she needs.
              -Mustafa
              ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
              2016 Hobie Outback
              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                Hey Alan,

I don't have any advice on this matter bro, but I do have a lot of prayers going both your ways! God willing all will go smoothly and she will get the relief she needs.
                Thanks dude. That helps a lot.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

I won't distract from your topic with the details but my wife and I were recently put through a stressful prenatal "scare" and it is very evident that the medical field is pretty strongly influenced by legalities. Personalized care and opinions seem to be harder and harder to find these days but it helps if you can get a good read off the doctor. It's not necessarily that the doctor doesn't care, they just have to be overly cautious and warn you of risks that have an extremely unlikely chance of happening.

Every surgery holds some level of risk that the doctors have to C.Y.A. I am scheduled for hernia surgery in a month and had to sign a waiver explaining that I could die. That's a pretty drastic warning for a relatively basic surgery. I'm sure the complexities of the neurological system are much more challenging, but the surgeons that take your health in their hands also go in as prepared as they can be.

You at least have technology and medical advancements in your favor, doctors can do some crazy stuff now. Open heart surgery that used to involve cutting/breaking bone and left a scar across your entire chest now can be done with a just 1-2" incision.

What was your impression of the doctor or surgeon? Did you feel like they had a sincere interest in your wife's health and enough experience to help?

Whatever path the two of you choose to take I certainly hope she gets back to good health.
                  Mike

Comment

Tomorrow at 6AM is the big day. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. It really means something to us.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Hope all goes well and your wife finally gets some relief!
                      Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Praying for you guys bro!
                        -Mustafa
                        2016 Hobie Outback
                        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

It seemed like the odds were stacked against us this morning when driving down 95 at 5:15AM and traffic was at a complete standstill. We sat in the same spot for a half hour, but fortunately we made it just after 6. Not that added stress that she needed. The surgeon said that the surgery went well so we're keeping our fingers crossed that rehab goes well. For 2 weeks her arm will be in a sling and then begins several weeks of rehab. She was hysterical coming of the pain meds. A lot of people gathered around to hear what she had to say. That was funny to see.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                          Torqeedo Pro Staff
                          Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

I'm glad all went well. All that can be done now is pray for the best and take care of her
                            -Mustafa
                            2016 Hobie Outback
                            2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Best wishes and prayers for a speedy recovery for your wife. God Bless.
                              Hurricane Skimmer 128
                              WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Working...
                              X