Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second day of fly fishing and I'm hooked!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second day of fly fishing and I'm hooked!

Finally gave in and bought a fly rod. Went out yesterday and fished the potomac. Didn't have any luck, got frustrated and went back to using my spinning gear. Kinda bummed I couldn't even manage a sunfish.

Today I went out and bought a fly resembling the blue damsel dragonfly that is currently hatching in our area. Managed a nice size bluegill on the first cast! Panfish or not, I was pumped to get my first fish on the fly. 10 or so casts later BOOM!
    This was awesome. Fought this hog for about 3 minutes. Successful second day playing with the fly rod.

So what are some other spots worth checking out with the fly rod around the shepherdstown/Washington county area?
    Zack
    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

sega,

That's a wonderful first fly rod bass. You think you hooked a nice fish, but the fly rod has hooked you!

By wading or floating the Potomac near Shepherdstown and Brunswick you can expect excellent fly rod action for smallmouth on size 4 and 6 poppers and similar sized wooly buggers and Clouser Minnows.

Congrats on your successful fly selection. The only time I ever tried to "match a hatch" for bass was during a White Miller eruption. That evening I tied on a white popper. Otherwise, smallmouth are not discriminating and hit poppers of various colors made by Gaines Company and my own cork and foam creations.

For wooly buggers, olive and brown are good colors. For Clousers chartreuse over white works as well in the Upper Potomac as it does in the Bay.

Anyway, you're off to good start on a great way to catch fish.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Congratulations on the first Fly rod bass! If you think you are hooked now just wait till you start tying your own fly's and get one on one of yours! It is an addiction but a good one! Welcome to the FLY SIDE!

eyedaddy

Comment

Working...
      X