Night fishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night fishing?

Just wondering if anyone around here fishes from their yak at night?

I moved to St. Marys 2 years ago from Virginia beach where I predominantly fished after (normal) people go to sleep. I fished at those late hours because it was the most convenient for me, having a family it was the only free time I could make. Hitting places like Rudee and Lynnhaven inlets, and also the HRBT. I learned to do well (actually better) at night for the same species we have here. Seriously if I was on the water by 10pm I was doing good lol.

So is there a reason here in Maryland not to many people venture out at those times? Laws or regulations?

Just curious

Thanks
    Inshoremac

I fish nights frequently. Croaker bite undeniably better at night. All the 17"+ croakers I have caught were at night. Spot can be caught, and flounder, but night doesn't seem to drive them as much as croaks.

Just need a light visible up to 2 miles, a whistle, and a PFD according to coast guard.

I'm not sure on the laws for spotlighting, but I imagine that would work too.

Comment

Ok thank you. Do you know if there are any launches in the piney point area that allow you to launch after dark?

Comment

Or any areas around point lookout or St. Jerome's creek?

Comment

PLO has a 24-hr launch, same w/SPSP further north, there's a fee to enter the park at night( must be fishing). There's also the boatlaunch fee but it's free at the soft launch next to the concession building @ PLO. Perhaps someone else could clarify. I usually fish at night with a couple fishing buddies but our schedules are different this year.

Comment

Thank you that helps a lot, I was starting to think no one stayed out for night fishing.

Comment

Working...
            X