St. Inigoes MD - Sunday 08/24/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Inigoes MD - Sunday 08/24/14

I left my house late on Sunday and was planning on fishing somewhere close to home like Jonas Green but once I got on the road the St. Mary's tractor beam kicked in and I was headed to St. Inigoes. I arrived around 1:45pm. It was peak high tide and the wind was blowing pretty good.

On my first troll out to the mouth of Smith Creek I picked up a short Speck. After I got out into the Potomac it was chock full of short Blues. Unfortunately, I only had soft plastics. I ended up cutting the plastics down so the hook could sit further back. After catching 8 short blues I started to troll around Sage Point and I picked up two short Stripers and another small Speck. This was all fun but I was there to catch Reds. I paddled around for about another hour before I finally found a Red. He hit my light rod hard in about 3.5 feet of water. He ripped the drag over three runs before I could finally get him in the boat.

After releasing him and on my very next cast I hook into what I think is an even bigger Red. This fish was smoking my drag but it ended up being a very feisty cow nose ray (queue the sad trombones from the "Price is Right"). I paddled around standing up trying to sight for more Reds and I rolled over two more decent sized ones but they got spooked and didn't return.

On the way back in I picked up two Spot (small), lost a tiny flounder at the boat and picked up 3 more short blues.

<MIKE>
    Sunrise Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler
    Yellow Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler

Looks like you had a great day. Did you run into Ronault or Camelbird?? They got some specks too.
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Thanks for the pics/report.

Comment

Wow, Great outing. Good Job!
        Hurricane Skimmer 128
        WS Pamlico 100

Comment

What a great day of fishing! Sounds like it was worth the drive.
          2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
          Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Mike, I thought that could have been someone on the board out there. I should have paddled over to say hello. I left as you were creeping around the point. NICE RED! I was hunting for a red all day.

We need to meet up in St Marys sometime again

Justin

Comment

Originally posted by camelbird View Post
              Mike, I thought that could have been someone on the board out there. I should have paddled over to say hello. I left as you were creeping around the point. NICE RED! I was hunting for a red all day.

We need to meet up in St Marys sometime again

Justin
              Hey Justin,

After I went around the corner I turned around and paddled back to say hi but you were already heading back into the creek. Did you stay much longer? Anytime you want to fish St Mary's let me know. How do you like the Trident?

Mike
              <MIKE>
              Sunrise Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler
              Yellow Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler

Comment

Originally posted by <MIKE> View Post
                Hey Justin,

After I went around the corner I turned around and paddled back to say hi but you were already heading back into the creek. Did you stay much longer? Anytime you want to fish St Mary's let me know. How do you like the Trident?

Mike
                I was super beat and wanted to get home to cook the fish for dinner so I trolled back up to the ramp and left right after that. Wife willing, I'll be back down soon.

Love the trident! Great hull, tracks well, decent weight.

Comment

Awesome fish bro! Did you guys both launch from the same spot?
                  -Mustafa
                  ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                  2016 Hobie Outback
                  2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                  "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Working...
                  X