Susquehanna Flats 8/29/2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susquehanna Flats 8/29/2014

This time of year I generally do not fish the flats for stripers. Although lately I've seen some pics of people catching them up there on top water. I wanted to give it a shot. With a dentist appointment this morning, I didn't get on the water until around 10-10:30...top water was out of the question. Although I have some favorite fall spots, so I tried those. They seem to be barren of fish at other times of the year. Like I said, I don't usually fish for them this time of year but because of writing the book this year, I wanted to really focus stripers through all seasons to learn even more....it can be a lifelong thing and still not know all of it.

What I found was a school of 15" stripers in a couple specific locations in Ditch 1 (Get out your book for where that is) They were not focused like they normally are in the fall. These guys were moving around making it hard to stay on them, but it's a good sign that they will be all over the flats in a few weeks, bigger ones too. Once I found the school by trolling, the FF lit up like a Christmas tree and hooked 3 on consecutive drops, then they were gone. They were in about 10-13' of water.

I headed over to Ditch 2 (read your map) and followed it back and forth between the weeds with nothing. Sun was high at this point so not good timing to be looking for fish. That took me deep into some weeds. Wow they were thick! I could hardly get my kayak through the acres of weeks. This is what I usually fish in the summer with frogs. It's a blast up there. The grasses form pockets which are fun to just drift through and watch the fish below. Tons of 1-3" baitfish dart in and out of the weeds which filter all the water there, making it crystal clear to the bottom. I saw what looked like a large orange koi fish, perhaps some kind of carp. It stuck out like a sore thumb. I watched for awhile before I drifted on. I was bummed I forgot my frogs because I saw a GIGANTIC largemouth down there too. My heart was thumping. I moved along towards Ditch 3 which is where there's deeper water surrounded by more weeds. Looks like a great place to throw top water early morning. I circled back up Tydings Ditch and back to launch with no more fish other than the ones I caught earlier in the day.

The pics of the fish and rigs are posted on FB: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6501279&type=1

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Nice work Alan! Haven't fished the flats for a couple years. Nice to hear you're getting some action down there. We're planning a trip up to Erie again in the fall and hopefully a bay and coast trip as well. Now that the pleasure boaters have left my local Raystown lake, lines will be dropping soon! Tight lines!
    2012 hobie revo, turbo fins sail rudder

Comment

Is the frog bite good right now? I haven't been out all year.
      Native Slayer 12
      Native Ultimate

Comment

Originally posted by gliebig View Post
        Is the frog bite good right now? I haven't been out all year.
        Yup, go out right now with some frogs and you should have fun. All summer really. As long as those weed mats and bait fish are there like I saw, you'll find largemouth.

Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by striperstalker View Post
          Nice work Alan! Haven't fished the flats for a couple years. Nice to hear you're getting some action down there. We're planning a trip up to Erie again in the fall and hopefully a bay and coast trip as well. Now that the pleasure boaters have left my local Raystown lake, lines will be dropping soon! Tight lines!
          Nice! I had a great time up there and would like to make a trip north for some salmon.

Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Nice going Alan and thanks for the report. Way to dial in the flats. I enjoyed reading your book.
            Mike S.
            Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
            3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

I've fished the flats for many years, but never from a yak. The flats maps in Allens book really opened up a new adventure by yak. Thanks Allen.
              Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
              Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I'm on the flats right now. Is that back channel behind tydings any good?
                Native Slayer 12
                Native Ultimate

Comment

Found a few small stripers. Ventured onto the flats throwing frogs. Typical not a sniff out here. I don't get this place.
                  Native Slayer 12
                  Native Ultimate

Comment

Originally posted by gliebig View Post
                    I'm on the flats right now. Is that back channel behind tydings any good?
                    Along that western side there's a secondary channel, if that's what you mean. There's weedbeds on both sides and I've caught nice largemouth on both sides of it. Out in the middle there are lots of weedbeds and they all hold largemouth. The presentation with the frogs makes a big difference Ive found. Stripers seem to like a lot of comotion and the smallies up river seem to like just a little less, but for the largemouth I catch, the presentation is more subtle. For LMB, I use a frog with no cupped lip. Jerk, jerk, pause for a few seconds, jerk, pause...each day is different but once you get the presentation down you could have a really nice day. Also, throw right on top of the super thick mat.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Got to love on the water reports, Got to remember next time to have this forum dialed in for on the spot answers. good stuff.
                      Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                      Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Hit the thick stuff but not the super matty stuff. Finally got two lmb bites on the inside across from the launch. Ended up with several small stripers, two missed lmb on the frog then a handful of dink smallies up Lapidum.
                        Native Slayer 12
                        Native Ultimate

Comment

Working...
                        X