Magothy River Sept 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magothy River Sept 1

I've been landing some legal rockfish trolling rattle traps in the channel of the Magothy near me in the last week. Was trolling the docks this morning when I latched onto a chain Pickeral. While unhooking him, he flipped and buried one of the barbed hooks into my little finger. Having an unhappy chain Pickeral on the bottom set of hooks and your finger attached to the top set was not pleasant. I stabilized him and a nearby boat came over and assisted by unhooking the fish. I pedaled back to my launch with the rattletrap attached, got to ER at AAH, and was home in two hours. Hopefully get out tonight!
    image.jpgimage.jpg

Ouch!

Congrats on the stripers.

You'll certainly remember that pickerel for a long time.

I'm glad you're well enough to get back out so soon.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Damn, that looks painful! That's one of the things that I always worry about happening when I'm unhooking a fish. How did they get the hook out, push it through and cut it off?
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Pliers do wonders

sorry

Comment

If you do go out again, keep that hand DRY, especially from River water after all that rain last night.

Comment

was fishing with a friend in the potomac probably 20 years ago when a 8" white sucker bit his rebel crawdad and shook the hook right into the index finger of his left hand.
            we removed the sucker and sent him on his way. I drove mike to the ER. in charlestown where it took a doctor about 30 seconds to cut the hook, push it through and put a little ointment/gause on it. $500.00 dollors later we learned a lesson. We were staying near Harpers Ferry for the weekend as Mikes band was playing Friday and Saturday night at a small club outside Charlestown. Yes he is a guitar player and yes he pulled it off. He's one of my best fishing buds to this day.

Comment

Originally posted by gillplate View Post
              was fishing with a friend in the potomac probably 20 years ago when a 8" white sucker bit his rebel crawdad and shook the hook right into the index finger of his left hand.
              we removed the sucker and sent him on his way. I drove mike to the ER. in charlestown where it took a doctor about 30 seconds to cut the hook, push it through and put a little ointment/gause on it. $500.00 dollors later we learned a lesson. We were staying near Harpers Ferry for the weekend as Mikes band was playing Friday and Saturday night at a small club outside Charlestown. Yes he is a guitar player and yes he pulled it off. He's one of my best fishing buds to this day.
              To this day I cant believe a sucker bit a crankbait!!!!

Comment

Beautiful pickerel! Sorry about the finger
                2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Ouch, that's got to be painful. Nice pickerel. Lookin at the pick made my finger hurt. Glad you are recovering.
                  Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                  Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

There is a "simple" technique to remove a stuck hook. I never tried it on myself so don't know how practical it would be when fishing by yourself. Check out http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knot...l-string-yank/. There are also various videos available online showing how it is done.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                      Damn, that looks painful! That's one of the things that I always worry about happening when I'm unhooking a fish. How did they get the hook out, push it through and cut it off?
                      I tried pulling it out and pushing it through with pliers while on the water with no success--the barb had hung up inside. Dr numbed it and dug it out--saved the rattletrap! I will, in the future, mash the barbs down. See u all out there--Al

Comment

I did that with a thrashing rockfish and a yozuri crystal minnow three times the same year...all in the foot. The fishing line method works good.twice I just yank it out. I just like going barefoot...paid the price.

Comment

Working...
                        X